Minutes at a Time

So we all talk about how busy we are.  We have no time to write, to read, to do all the things.  School, work, and chores take up a lot of our time.

And that's okay.  After all, education and putting food on the table is important.

But instead of worrying about the three straight hours we don't get to do things (such as writing, or blogging, or reading), let's focus on the three minutes that we do get.  This is a little thing I like to call...okay, I don't have anything to call it.  (Anyone got a snazzy name for using a few minutes to do something?)


I'm reading through a book with some friends, and we are doing one page (both sides; or basically two page numbers...) a day.  It's not that hard - I usually read during lunch break - probably takes about ten minutes.  But do you know what's really hard?  Playing catch-up.  Miss a day or two, and suddenly I need half an hour of time, and that's harder to find.  Like, much harder.

So that got me thinking...this concept can apply to anything.  Don't put things away in your room for a week, and you'll have a huge mess to clean on Saturday.  But if you tidy up at least something every day, it won't be so bad.  Clean up the floor before you go to bed, or refold those shirts you tossed in the drawer.  Wipe the mirror clean after brushing your teeth, and if you see a mess on the sink counter, clean it up before you leave the bathroom.
We've all heard the "writing in small increments a day can really boost your word count" deal.  And I'm not denying it.  But I'm not just talking about writing.

So I challenge y'all, this December, to do a lot of little things - things that seem simple, but can add up.  Keep things clean and organized.  Keep yourself feeling great.  Keep your motivation up.  Don't let busyness stress you out.
Read an extra chapter in the Bible when you wake up.
Take the extra minute to do your hair differently than normal.
Clean the dresser top before you leave your room.
Listen to a story on tape while cooking. 
Read a page a day on that new book (or two pages, if you think you have the time).
Write for ten minutes before you eat dinner, and another ten afterwards.
Drink a glass of water.
Organize your flash drive/desktop/notebooks/wherever you store your writing things.
Go outside (even if it's cold) to look at the stars for a few minutes before bed.
Get something on your to-do list completed - even if it's just a small and simple task.
Smile.

11 comments:

  1. YES, THIS POST IS THE BEST! 10000% agree!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes just a quick little thing can "restart" us and help us focus on a task at hand, de-stress a bit, or just get motivated!

      Delete
  2. ABSOLUTELY.

    I've been struggling with a bunch of big projects (SOI, my room, etc.) I've been pushing it off, thinking I need several hours to do each one and I don't get very far at all.

    This post is exactly what I needed. Thank you Julian!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the little things add up so much! I have a fairly large list of goals for December, but I have smaller things to do each day to complete them on time. I really enjoy my to-do lists.

    Great post, Jules!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! It is something I have absolutely had to learn at different stages of my life, but it really is so important: just because you don't have an hour to do that task doesn't mean you shouldn't do anything at all. Do whatever little bit you can and watch those little things add up. :)

    Great post!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Alexa! Once I realized I can get things done just by a few minutes at a time, I started getting more things accomplished!

      Delete
  5. This is very true! I am the type of person that does so many little things constantly... sometimes it's exhausting, but at the end of the day you accomplish so much more :D If every moment is put to good use they will add up :D Lovely post ;D

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may not seem like much - but minutes add up. Thanks for commenting, Keturah!

      Delete