Favorite Literary Couples

While working on edits for Betrayal and Bravery, one of the plot threads I dutifully need to, well, edit, is the romance (or should I say, romances, as there are a couple of them, some prominent, others not so).  Which got me thinking (and the thinking was helped by Olivia’s post) about romances and couples and such in books.  And as I continued to ponder this, I wondered, which ones are some of my favorites?

Jace and Kyrin from The Ilyon Chronicles


Jace and Kyrin have such a lovely story.  They’ve been through a lot, but they help each other out and push each other to become better people.  I love reading their interactions and conversations and it's so cute.  :)  Kyrin tried to become friends with Jace, even when other people pushed him away, and Jace will do anything for Kyrin, and they're just adorable together!

Farimir and Eowyn in The Lord of the Rings


I grew up with the extended editions of the movies, so I knew from the very beginning that they got married at the end (thanks to a cute extended version scene).  But when I read The Return of the King, it made their story more much lovely... how they met in the Houses of Healing, and how Eowyn realizes that she doesn’t need to be a Queen and be looked up to by all the people to be happy.  And it’s about time Farimir had a happy ending...

Henri and Eglantine in How They Kept the Faith


Granted, this entire book made my heart ache, and not just the romance in it.  At first I was a little disappointed in Eglantine marrying Henri instead of Rene, but as the book went on…they ripped my heart out!  Their regrets, their struggles, their decisions (good and bad), their love, everything about this story was masterfully written.

Eben and Lily from The Firethrown Chronicles


I expected not to like Lily (it can be hard for me to like main female characters, for some reason), but I really enjoyed reading about it, and I instantly liked Eben.  Their relationship was just very entertaining, and I just knew they would be perfect together.  And especially when her father, the King, agreed with me.  Instead of all "no, you need to find some rich prince to make better ties with the kingdom" he was just "yeah, you two are a great pair, you have my blessing."  :D

Finn and Enna in The Books of Bayern


From the moment he appeared in Forest Born, I loved Finn.  And when he married Enna, I was quite happy.  But then I read the other books in the correct order and saw all the stuff that these two had gone through to get to that marriage in the last book...and I loved their tale.  (Because I’m such a confused person I read the last book in the series first, and then read The Goose Girl, and the other two.)  Enna gets on my nerves, but I still love her as a character, because she reminds me of myself sometimes, and Finn is just so kind-hearted and heroic.
(Also, it’s just briefly touched on, but I think there is a bit of romance between Conrad and Rinna??  And I personally think those two should get a happy ending together.  They’d make a nice pair, amiright?)

Garrett and Annie in The Herbalist’s War


I fell head over heels in love with this story, despite expectations that it wouldn't be "quite my genre."  I loved the characters and the plot, but especially I loved Annie and Garret.  Watching them care for each other, build each other up, be there for each other (and their friends), and giving praise to God through all the pain they go through...it pulled on my heartstrings.  *cries*

Timothy and Leetra in the Ilyon Chronicles


These two... I think they are my ultimate favorite literary couple.  I especially love their story, and how Leetra slowly came around to realize she loved Timothy, and how Timothy was there for her from the beginning, and they ever so slowly grew closer and closer...my heart just about melted.  As soon as they first looked at each other, I knew: I wanted them to be together.  Leetra herself is a fairly interesting character to read about, and Timothy is just golden.

Has anyone else read these books?  Love these couples?  Disagree?  (Fight me!)  This isn't an all-inclusive list; just the ones that came up in my head first.

I’m also following up sometime next month with a favorite fictional friendships (non-romantic).  Maybe even make a series out of this, and talk about other things in books I love?

12 comments:

  1. Ugh, you are making me want to finish reading Ilyon SO HARD. I don't have any money to buy the paperbacks of books 3 and 4 (and I don't want to get the kindle versions b/c MATCHED SET Y'ALL) but I love Jace and Kyrin and I want the ship to sail thank you very much. XD

    And Faramir and Eowyn are one of my favorites too. Watching the movies, I honestly non-canon ship Eowyn and Aragorn....but in the books it could only be Faramir and Eowyn. Sorry-not-sorry. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, don't worry...I'm waiting not-so-patiently for book 5. If you hurry up and read 3 and 4, you'll have to join in on the wait for Bitter Winter. So take your time and enjoy being able to buy the next book...

      Delete
  2. Besides Eowyn and Faramir (which I totally agree with Faith is a favorite ship of mine too) I haven't been introduced to any of these ships yet...I know, I'm so behind on my TBR. Why can't the library carry such good gems???

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to get The Books of Bayern from my library. Might want to try checking yours!

      Delete
    2. They don't have it....I tried looking twice. Very miffed, to say the least.

      Delete
    3. Aw, that stinks. Bonus points for my little country library, I guess, lol

      Delete
  3. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES
    ENNA AND FINN
    and Conrad and Rinna should get a book
    GERIC SHOULD GET A BOOK
    As much as I loved Enna and Finn, and Razo and Dasha (those two were hilarious) Ani and Geric were always my favorite couple of the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geric and Ani are adorable, but I've always loved Enna and Finn so much. (Probably because Finn is a favorite character, along with Razo and Rin.)

      Delete
  4. Well, I just received something better than any award out there! That shout-out made my day! Those two just make me so happy and I love it when others get to fangirl with me.

    And all the yes to Faramir and Eowyn!!! #flails

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! It's a wonderful book, with an epic ship!

      Delete
  5. I so want to read the Ilyon Chronicles!! *cries*

    Faramir and Eowyn are precious. <3 <3 I have to say, though, I do ship Eowyn and Aragorn maybe a leetle more? Idk. I've just never liked Aragorn and Arwen. XD

    Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Aragorn and Eowyn might have been a nice couple, but Faramir needed a happy ending, y'know? And I've always thought Arwen story was really tragically beautiful...the whole giving up immortality to be with Aragorn.

      But YES go and read the Ilyon Chronicles!!! Highly recommended!!

      Delete