The 4-Part Writing Special // Questions on Story

The 4-part writing special 3.png

The Shared-Wip Tag is a four-part tag, in which authors and bloggers answer four sets of ten questions, posting more or less on the same day throughout the month.  The questions are geared to four different aspects of their current WIP – the story itself, the characters, the storyworld, and general writing.  There are nine bloggers (including myself) participating in this tag, and the links to their blogs will be provided at the bottom of this post, so please check them out as well!
If you are interested in participating in the next Shared Tag event, please contact me and I will add you to the list for the next one, which will be in February (once all the NaNoWriMo and New Year craziness is over).  :D 

What is the title, genre, and current status of your WIP?

My current Work in Progress is Words of Gold, the first book in the Betrayal and Bravery Trilogy.  It is Fantasy, written with a Christian worldview, and is clean, with no magic or dragons. (sorry my dear dragon-lovers!)  I am currently in the editing phase (whoop de doo).

Actually, I lied.

Current status: banging head against laptop screen while screaming "Just write yourself because I'm sick and tired of rewriting you on my own!!!"

*ahem*

Does anyone else every feel like that?  Or it is just me?  Because I'm so ready for this book to be done so I can work on the next one SO HELP ME.

What do you think makes your story unique?

The fact that I am the one writing it.

Ba-dum tiss.

*goes to next question*

*returns*

Okay, so I also have a character who doesn't talk.  Like, no kidding.  Never makes a sound.  I don't even think he laughs.  *checks story*  Yup.  He just smiles.

And it's not that he can't, he just doesn't speak.  Or maybe he actually cannot speak - no one really knows.  He just doesn't.

But, basically, he uses his fiddle to communicate.  He plucks the strings to get attention his way, or to make it known if he's happy or angry or sad.  He also uses it as a warning before a fight.  And he makes people smile when he plays songs with others.  Having it in his hands comforts him.

Cause fiddles/violins are beautiful - in looks and sounds.
Anyone else feel that way?  I don't even have to be playing it, but just holding my banjo is relaxing.

And painful. Cause it's heavy. 

Where did the title come from?
Words have beauty, power...and the characters learn the consequences of written, spoken, and sung words.

But there's also a lot of betrayal going on, plus some bravery in the face of danger and all that.

How long have you been working on your WIP?

I can't remember when I first began gathering ideas, but I started the first draft for Camp NaNo in July 2015.

I later continued to write more in the trilogy during 2016.

And now, in 2017, I have returned to edit.  *epic music*

So over two years, give or take.  I'll just say it has been the most enjoyable book (and trilogy) to write, and I have loved every step of this journey.

Except these edits.  *eyes broken laptop screen* 

What do you think people will enjoy most about your WIP?

The characters.  They have struggles, just like we do, and sometimes they fail, just like we do.  Seeing them push through these fears, these problems, can encourage us as well.  I love watching (reading) them interact with each other, and solve problems, laugh together, and save the day (or try, anyway).

Provide a snippet (long or brief) of a favorite scene.

“Just be careful in the stable,” Connaven jabbed a finger in the direction of the wide-open doors.  “It’s a very busy place, and there are horses and people everywhere.  They will trample you without bothering to look down.  But especially watch out for the wild horse.  He’ll eat you alive if you dare get close.”  She turned back to me, her nose wrinkled and eyes narrowed in delight.  “And don’t even think about trying to tame him.  Lots of people have tried, and he tosses them right off!”
“Oh, no,” I shook my head.

“You village girls are all the same,” the Princess waved her hand, ignoring my words, caught up in her attempt at lecturing me.  “You’re probably already imagining yourself climbing onto his back, no saddle or bridle, and racing off into the forest.  What a lovely story that would make.  Trust me, Marywyn, that is not going to happen.”

“I would never...”

 “So you say.  But I have no doubt you’ll be sneaking off, any chance you get, eager to try your hand at taming this great beast...”

 Better stop her now, before she gets too carried away.  “But I’m scared of horses!”
Connaven slid to a stop, her boots kicking up dust from the cobblestones.  “What?  Really?  You’re a villager – who’s scared of horses?  I don’t believe it!  Are you really scared?  Why would you be scared?  Horses won’t hurt you, Marywyn.  They’re very gentle!  Especially my horse.  You can’t be scared of him!”
No matter the gentleness of the horse, I still didn’t want to be around it.  Especially if it meant possibly going near a wild one.  “I’ll just stay outside and wait for you, alright?”
“Sorry, but that’s not alright.  You’re coming with me.”  Connaven grabbed my elbow as we entered the stable, an eager light in her eyes.  You'll like my horse!”
I squeaked in protest.  “Are you sure we should go in?  Alone?”  The story of the wild horse echoed in my ears.  I had no wish to get eaten or trampled today. 

 
What would you do if you entered a stable with a wild gray horse in it?

Describe your WIP in 10 separate short phrases.

Red hair // Golden voices // Strangers in the shadows // Moonlight reflecting off fiddle strings // Princess in a tower // Friendship // Hands folded in prayer // Echoing footsteps // Carefully tended flowers // Preparing for war
What is the hardest thing to write with this story?  What is the easiest?

I am a character-driven writer and reader - that is what draws me into books.  I care about people, and what they love, enjoy, and fight for.  Creating characters has always been my favorite part of writing.  Getting to know them is a pleasure.
Worldbuilding, however....I'm more of a pantster by nature, and so I can't stand sitting down and making an amazing storyworld.  I would much rather just get in my storyworld and make stuff up as I go.  Not a bad thing, but just means there's not much I've done in this regard (though I'm hoping to change it).


But I do know there are fluffy wolfhounds in the storyworld!

A line where the tension builds.
If the Rochen attack, we will not be ready - not to mention hopelessly outnumbered.”

Explain the plot in one line.

Can a simple village girl protect the princess and save the city?

So what do you think?  Want to find out more?  :)  Come back next week as I answer questions about the characters!! 

Please visit Sarah, Ivie, Lisa, Carol, Jem, Faith, Lila and Evangeline to see their answers to these questions!  (I'll update the links as their posts are published.)


Blogger collab 3.png


19 comments:

  1. I love CONN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS SOUNDS SO COOL!! I love how music is so prevalent in your storyworld! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! (The second book /is/ called Words of Song, so yeah...music plays a high role in this trilogy...)

      Delete
  3. This is seriously epic!!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome sauce, like normal JD. Really good post. What makes your story unique? Lol that part was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brain died at that question, and I was just like "ummmmmmm."

      Delete
  5. Ahhh I love the sound of your character who doesn't talk. I want to be friends with him. <3
    Can't wait to check out everyone's posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's one of my favorite characters, tbh. Just very interesting and fun to write.

      Yes! Go read everyone else's posts - there are some AMAZING stories in the works here!

      Delete
  6. I am currently working on my rewrite too. (My eyeballs)

    I would totally go into a stable with a wild gray horse. But then again I'm biased, since I own a wild horse?

    (He's not gray though. It's a boring(fat)bay mustang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Fearsome Rewrites...

      I would totally go in as well. But Marywyn? No. She's not a horse person, that's for sure!

      But Mustangs are awesome! I've never ridden one, but I have friends who ride them, so I've been around them. They're great!

      Delete
  7. I wish my story would write itself... so I could read it. Because frankly if my stories would write themselves I would happily stop writing. *grumbles* I brought them into existence and what do they do? sit around waiting for me to pour myself into them! I mean RUDE. They should learn to be self-sufficient and stop being little parasites.

    I love how Connaven changed from "I KNOW you're going to try to touch the horses but DON'T because they're really dangerous!" to "You don't like horses??? we are gonna fix this right NOW come with me." xD

    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAYYYS!!!! Exactly!! If you find a something that speeds up this whole process LET ME KNOW.

      Connaven is utterly hilarious. So much fun to write! She thought Marywyn would be this horse-crazy peasant girl...lol, nope!

      Delete
  8. I like your plot line summary! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I slaved over that one line summary a few months ago, and it has paid off! I've had a few people to the old "what's your story about?" and I was able to pull that out of the hat and not look like a fool. :) Everyone should make one and memorize it!

      Delete