The 4-Part Writing Special // Questions on Characters

The 4-part writing special pt 2.png

Today we are going to talk about the characters in Words of Gold.  As much as I would love to talk about all the characters in the entire trilogy, I shall (attempt to) restrain myself and keep this post only on those appearing in the first book.

Let's see how well that goes...

Who is the main character?  (Bonus points for description or picture.)

Marywyn, a villager.  She is around twenty years old (funny, how I've never pin-pointed her exact age...), and loves gardening, goats, and good grub (er, food...).  She has red hair, freckles, light blue eyes, and a nice smile.

Marywyn loves her little village - with lots of gardens and flowers!

 What is the goal of the protagonist?  The antagonist?  (No spoilers!)

Marywyn would like to return home alive.  She believes she's only in this mess (mess as in - people trying to kill her, the princess hating her, and her family being far away) for a brief time before she goes back to the village. 

Of course, that's want she wants, but God has a different plan.

The antagonist...well, I actually have a couple.  None have world domination (mwahaha) in plan, though.  I don't want to tell who they are, or else the "Betrayal" part of the trilogy won't be as exciting.  :)  But just know that while some villains are obvious enough throughout the story...more lurk in the shadows...  *cues creepy music*  And their motives...well, you will have to read and find out.  (How's that for a sales pitch??)
  
Is there a possession or memory the MC keeps close?

Marywyn has one memory of her father, and while it has faded, she still remembers his bright blue eyes, his deep, kind voice, and the comfort his embrace gives her.  She prays that someday she will see him again, and get more memories with him. 

What is the MC's greatest fear?

Well, Marywyn is not a brave soul (not in the slightest), so she actually has quite a lot of fears.  Essentially: she's afraid of everything.  Horses.  Strangers.  New things.  Shadows.  People who don't smile. 

But I suppose she fears most that she'll never see her family together again.  With a brother taken prisoner, parents out of the picture, and all sorts of havoc running around the world, they may never be a happy little family.  She fears she'll be alone and on her own.

Like Marywyn has no interest in seeing what may lie over the mountains.  Most likely whatever is over there is dangerous, and should not be messed with or bothered.
 Who is your favorite character?

It's a very close three-way tie.  *smug grin*

I love Marywyn, as she's the MC and I spend a lot of time in her head.  Despite our differences, I think we could get along quite well, and I have loved watching (or reading)(or writing)(however you would like to put it) her learn.

I also love Wisdom Ravencroft, a woman who spends her time helping others with no thought of gain for herself.  I would just love to spend an afternoon with her - singing songs while going on little mercy missions.  She also has a big draft horse I would love to take a ride on.

Lastly, I love the Captain of the West Band, who is noble and chivalrous - sometimes.  Can I please just sit and eat a snack with him, maybe have him teach me how to shoot a bow, and then play a song or two together?

List some of the more prominent characters, and then provide a line that describes them (from your WIP).


 Marywyn the Villager


“What makes you so special that Rayn Hetherin feels the need for you to take his favor?”
I shrugged. “Nothing.”

Princess Connaven
Conn found every excuse to complain. I did my best to amuse her, but she refused to be amused.

Rayn Hetherin
He removed the hood from his face to display dark eyes, hard to make out in the shadows of his long hair. “Have no fear. Im a warrior, bound to protect the people of Raybir.”

Wisdom Ravencroft
Everyone was Wisdom's friend, be they servant, captain, or castle-goer.

Duren Blackburn
“He knows he’s supposed to be here, but can’t remember why.”


Who is the funniest character? Smartest character? Creepiest character? Most reckless character? Quirkiest character?

Argh!!!  The funniest (imo) character arrives in the second book....but in the first one, I would have to say Jaran.  He loves to make people laugh, and is a bit of a show-off.  His quick wit gives him the ability to produce loads of quick retorts and sarcastic remarks.  He is the standard-bearer of the West Band, and it's his job to keep up morale and encourage the warriors, so it's a perfect fit.  :)

The smartest would be...Rayn Hetherin.  He has a fast calculating mind, and his position in the West Band is one of strategy.

Creepiest...ahh....perhaps Landin.  The Crown Warrior to the Queen Moreno herself.  He was trained from birth to be a great warrior, and he suspects everyone of attempting to kill her.  At least, that's what he seems to be thinking when he looks at you.

Reckless is Jaran again, since he tends not to think before he acts.  He just sees something that "must" be done and goes off and does it, whatever the consequences might be.

My quirkiest character would probably be the Princess Connaven.  Sometimes she's a mirror image of her mother - cold and regal; other times she's just a young girl with loads of curiosity and innocence.  Deep down, I think she's a sweetheart, but being a princess has changed her to someone else.

I mean, if I lived in a castle, I would probably become a different person.
KNEEL!!!!
How do you come up with names?

Oy.  A number of names I have made myself; some are other names I've tweaked a bit.  Other names I just come across in my life and decide to use them.  My characters tend to go through many name changes (except Wisdom...she has always been Wisdom) until I find one that fits them.

I have a note on my phone where I save names I find that are interesting.  So whenever I need a name, I just grab one from there.  Then the name might get changed or tweaked as the story and the character grows.

What is the Myer's Brigg type of your MC?  (Bonus points for side characters!)

My dear MC, Marywyn, is an ESFJ.

Wisdom // ENFP

Connaven // INTP

Rayn // ISTJ

Jaran // ENTJ

Duren // ISFJ


Are any characters influenced by someone in your life?

Not in this trilogy, no.  I have based characters of real people in other stories, but all three books in Betrayal and Bravery are free from such things.  I do have a few scenes that spring-boarded off of events in my life, and I have a few characters that remind me of people that I know (but were not influenced by them intentionally).

So - still interested in my trilogy?  Please check out the other bloggers and see their answers to these questions!


Links as they are accessible: 

16 comments:

  1. Yay, an ISTJ. You don't see them very often. Everyone either writes a shy person or an extremely outgoing person. I'm an ISTJ so this is exciting for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rayn is great. I love him. I don't even think he was in the first draft (or if he was, he barely had a part).

      Delete
  2. Yay! I love these people so much (even though I only really know Marywyn and Conn)! Squee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, still interested.
    ...

    No, not "interested." HOOKED.

    Hooked beyond hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I really think this story shows great promise in being published someday. (More so than my other stories...)

      Delete
  4. I like your village picture, it really cememted the place in my mind.

    Interesting, never really seen a timid protagonist before. I'd like to see more! Wisdom also sounds like a really cool character that I would like to know more.

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The village picture was taken in a little town in Belarus. They love their flowers and gardens there, and often color their little dutchas in bright colors. That's sort of Marywyn's aesthetic. :)

      I think she's a lovely protagonist because she's not so much "get out and beat up the bad guys." And I think a number of us female readers can relate - not all of us are trained in martial arts and can take down a bunch of tough baddies. So she's for the skinny and non-adventurous types of readers!

      Delete
  5. I love Wisdom's name. xD I'm very interested to know if she was given that name at birth, or if she was gifted it sometime along the way! :) Good luck with your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She story she gives is that her parents gave her that name, hoping she would be it (wise). She has been the only character who I imagined from Day One of this story who has never had a name change. :)

      Delete
  6. All I can say is WOW. You've done some great thinking about your characters-- I loved their descriptions. I had no idea I had to give my characters the Myer's Brigg test! Yikes!! But fun...I've saved reading your blog and others, today. for my "now I get to read these ladies blogs" time of night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Honestly, characters are my favorite part of writing and reading.

      If you look up "16 Personalities" there is a website that lets you take a free test that's pretty good and fairly accurate. I'm sure that's the site we all use.

      Delete
  7. I need to get my antagonist's motivation past "world domination"... ugh.

    I love how Marywyn believes the unknown is likely dangerous, and "should not be messed with or bothered". Because - unlike most book characters seem to believe - that's the realistic response to most situations that come up in fiction.

    (You'd turn into Loki if you lived in a castle? xD)
    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Marywyn is such a fun protagonist to write, I must say. She's not magically good at fighting. She's not brave. She's not a warrior. She just has her words.

      (I might. Because I DO WHAT I WANT.)

      Delete
  8. I forgot to say, I love Wisdom's name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her name too! She's such a great character!

      Delete