The Seven-Seven-Seven-Seven Challenge

Mary Kate at Sarcastic Scribblings tagged me in the 7777 Challenge, and seriously, this thing is so cool.

In a nutshell: you go to the seventh page of your WIP, go to the seventh line, copy the next seven paragraphs to post on the blog, and then tag seven other people.
 


So, first off, go to Mary Kate's post, because her snippet is absolutely hilarious.

And mine is below....

[Background:  A number of people have been captured by the enemy, and in order to rescue them, my characters need to get across the mountains.  However, only a few people know how to get across aforementioned mountains, and the paths are guarded by very large and fearsome tigers.  Most people don't even get close to them for fear of death.  So they are trying to find people who are brave enough to go with them and fight the tigers and all that.]

[Also remember this is a first draft...I haven't gone over this since I wrote this back in the beginning of November for NaNoWriMo...it's not my best work.]

“...He is the Prince of Ristor, and should not risk his life needlessly.” Rayn settled back in his chair, his fingers tracing the edge of the armrest.  “You should not grudge him of it, Marywyn.  He can't come.  As for your brother, he might have the skills, but he is one man.  We need more than one, for tigers can and will attack many at once.  We might be able to rally a number of the Silencers, but they are leaderless, and may not be willing to follow us.”

“Could I talk to them?”

“You could.  But you are not a warrior, Marywyn.  Warriors do not need words to put them at their bravest.  Warriors need their leader - the one they look up to.  That’s where they get their strength and their bravery.”

I closed my eyes, attempting to keep the still fresh tears away.  “What about you, Rayn?  You’re the Second in Command of the West Band.  You’re the Captain now, come to think of it.  You can lead them.  The Silencers will follow you, at least.”

“I’m not their Captain, and they know it.  The Silencers died when he did, Marywyn, and the West Band is nothing without their leader.  I can take the command, but not with the spirit and strong sword they need.”

We stared at the table in silence for a moment, and Rayn continued.  “A well-trained horse will always behave and perform well for any rider, but he will ride best with the one who rides him most - the one he bonds with.  We might be a strong force, but we are the strongest with our Captain.”

Redenah cleared his throat.  “You must learn to battle without your captain.  You must learn to lead them yourself, Rayn.”


There you have it!  Excited?  Want to hear more?  Let me know in the comments!!!

The Re-Tag

And, in return, I tag...

Sarah @ Pen of a Ready Writer (I love her writing...I really do)
Jem @ Jem Jones, Writer (because I desperately need more of her Three Sisters snark)
Evangeline @ I just Happened (payback time, bro)
True @ A True Writer (because she's new and we need to know more about her WIP)
Brianna @ No End of Books (again...I want to know more about the books)
Kalan @ Kalan Olivia (her WIP sounds pretty interesting, IMO)
Keturah @ Keturah's Korner (cause she's a writer and artist and everything)

*whew*  I'm glad I don't have to tag 7,777 people....

28 comments:

  1. That snippet is awesome! I can't wait to read more.

    Thanks for the tag! Which WIP do you want me to do? While The Dawn of a Hero is my official WIP, I'm using The Herbalist's War for the March Special, so it wouldn't be entirely out of place to use that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do The Herbalist's War!!!!! I love that one! (Though I dearly love TDoaH too...)

      Delete
  2. I dearly love this snippt, Julian!! Yes, yes, I would like more! Are you featuring this one during the Shared WIP tag?

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of am doing it for the Tag - I decided just to spotlight the whole trilogy, since I'm kind of doing a continuity edit at the time of the Tag...so I'm working on all three. XD

      Delete
  3. Oh dear. I can't decide which WIP to do . . . XD

    But thank you for the tag! I'm excited to do it, and I'm also glad you aren't required to tag 7,777 other people. :D

    Also, I TOTALLY want to hear more!! It sounds so very interesting!

    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read about whichever WIP you choose!

      Delete
  4. Julian! This is epic! :D I was in the story immediately, even though I just saw what was happening! So cool!

    Snaps | silverphoenixwriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOH! I LOVE it. I'll probably be going back through everything you ever posted to find more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you'll be reading a lot more about this during March during the Tag Special THING. :)

      Delete
  6. What a fantastic cliffhanger that you left us on! Now I do want to know more about who these people are and what happens!! (*cough* if you ever want a beta . . . ;) *cough*) And this looks like such a cool tag! It might be a bit until I get around to it, but I am looking forward to it.

    ~True // aruewriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be doing a beta call sometimes in a few months, after the first round of edits. :) Keep your eyes open. I can't wait to see your post, though!

      Delete
  7. That cliffhanger!! XD
    I really liked reading that, fun tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny...I never really saw it as a cliffhanger. Maybe because I know what happens, and how the rest of the conversation goes? Bit I'm glad you liked reading it!

      Delete
  8. Oh, I love what you said about the horse and rider analogy picture thing! Haha.. I love metaphors and all that jazz :D Thanks for the tag, this shall be fun :D

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cough cough* I can probably find a horse analogy for almost anything *cough cough*

      Delete
    2. haha, that actually makes sense... ;)

      Delete
  9. "Could I wordsmith them?" What a FANTASTIC LINE!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is NaNo writing?? hahahaaa wow Julian *dies*

    Thanks for the tag... I think... ;P (Three Sisters is also NaNo writing...)
    - Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NaNo writing can be the best, sometimes. If I overthink things, that's usually when it starts going downhill.

      But I need more Three Sisters...

      Delete
  11. This was so much fun to read! I love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. If that isn't your best work, then your polished work must be S T U N N I N G, because that snippet is AMAZING!!!

    Phew!! For a second there, I was scared you might tag me. *wipes sweat from forehead* xD (jk, I wouldn't mind this tag. I guess. Maybe. I don't know. *starts sweating again*)

    Lila @ The Red-Hooded Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehheh THANKS!!!! You can steal the tag if you really want to do it...I don't think anyone will mind!

      Delete
  13. The cliffhanger at the end, oh my SHISH KEBABS. O.O Will he take on the mantle of being leader? *internally screams because the answer lies outside the seven paragraph limit*

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I didn't realize that was a cliffhanger when I posted it...I'M SO SORRY EVERYONE I DIDN'T MEAN TO MAKE YOU ALL HANG AROUND AND DESPERATELY NEED MORE

      But that it a good thing...right?? I'm supposed to make y'all want MORE...sometimes I do pretty good with this writing stuff. XD

      Delete
  14. Thank You for sharing your article, This is an interesting & informative blog. It is very useful for the developer like me.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete