The 5-Part Writing Special, Part 1: Introduction

Hello everyone!  It's back!!!!

The second round of my little Multi-Part Writing Special is back, and we're gonna be featuring a lot of cool WIPs and some really cool writers this month!  This is always such a fun event (though a bit crazy and confusing, too, if I'm going to be honest), and I hope everyone enjoys reading about all these epic books that are in the works (and meeting some epic bloggers).

For this month, I wasn't quite sure which WIP to focus on, since I'm not drafting anything at the moment, but rather editing my trilogy.

So I went with the entire Betrayal and Bravery trilogy.

*cues evil laugh*

And so, without further ado....

A 1-3 Paragraph Blurb of your WIP

Words of Gold

Marywyn the Villager is no one special.  She’s an orphan, and certainly not a hero or a person of importance.  In fact, her only claim to fame is her extremely well-kept garden and a lovely singing voice.  So when her brother is captured by the enemy, she can only assume her family has been mistaken for another.  The attempts on her own life?  All a mistake.  The warrior trailing her every move and keeping her safe from all attacks?  Again, he must be mistaken.  And the Queen's demand that Marywyn move to the castle and be a waiting woman?  She’s probably just trying to teach the Princess Connaven a lesson in manners (or make a cruel joke at Marywyn's expense).

But soon the truth is apparent.  God does not make mistakes in His Providence, and everything happens for a reason.  But can Marywyn sort out all the facts before anyone else gets hurt (including herself)?

Words of Song

Marywyn the Villager has received an honorable title – Protector of the Princess.  The only problem is, the Princess has just disappeared.  Eager to prove that her friends have not done wrong in voting to promote her, Marywyn leaves Raybir on a quest to rescue Connaven, but only runs headlong into more danger and betrayal.  And this time there are no mistakes.  The enemy is on the hunt, and they know exactly who they are looking for: a red-haired girl with a powerful singing voice.

But Marywyn begins to doubt: was she the right person to do all this?  Surely there are many others who can be the hero, others who are more brave.  Can Marywyn rescue her friends and save Raybir, or will she leave at the first opportunity to return to the safety of her garden and flowers?

Words of Peace

Marywyn's adventures are not over yet.  A terrible secret is uncovered on a rescue mission, revealing more danger and even more betrayal.  The location of the Telae is no longer a secret, but the armies of the High Houses will not be enough to stop the marching Rochen army.  Marywyn and her companions prepare to take their final stand before the Rochen Queen, but only if they can get to the Haven before her - and the only one who can tell them the way has proven on numerous occasions that he won't speak.

The end is near, but who will die before the fight is over?
Describe your WIP in ten short phrases.

Words of Gold red hair // golden voices // friendship // danger in the shadows // moonlight reflecting off fiddle strings // princess in a tower // stumbling prayers // legendary warriors // heavy silence // bravery

Words of Song long, dusty roads // wild gray horse // muddy boots // starlit nights // campfire stories // powerful songs // whispered secrets // disguises // rousing speeches // a waterfall

Words of Peace high mountains // hidden, snowy trails // bloody tiger prints // music rising to rafters // silent prayers // ice cold stares // pure bravery // utter betrayal // dying voices // red hair
How did you come up with the idea of your story?

I got the spark while reading a collections of Grimm's Fairy Tales.  I jotted down a few sentences, and added a few character ideas.  Some weeks later, I added another idea.  Then another.  I summarized the ideas into three books.  Then, around the end of May/early June, I fleshed out the characters and wrote a brief synopsis for the first book.  I wrote the first draft during the July Camp NaNo of 2015.

I started plotting to write the second book for NaNoWriMo, and realized that there was a lot more material to be covered.  The original second and third books were smashed together into the second book, and a faint idea for a new third book was outlined.  I completed book two for NaNoWriMo.

During 2016 I took a partial break from the trilogy to write a few other stories, and focused on editing the first book.  It went through two or three edits until I finally knew how the story needed to go.

I returned in November 2017 to write the third book, and am getting ready to edit the entire trilogy (starting this March)!

Why did you choose to write this WIP?  What gave it priority over all the other plot bunnies?

When I first started writing it, I wasn't writing because I was in love with the story or anything.  I was only writing it because I wanted to try a new writing process, and needed a story to do.  I grabbed this one (it sounded pretty fun) and started NaNo Prep.  Little did I know I would fall head over heels for the characters and the plot and the storyworld and find that this trilogy was the one.  I've taken breaks and written a few other stories, but I've always come straight back, eager to continue.
How did you go about preparing to write it?

My process for all three has pretty much been the same:

  • Start with idea in head of how story will go
  • Write synopsis
  • Write a brief scene from the POV of each main character
  • Write the draft and don't stop until you reach the end
  • Edit like crazy

It's worked very well, I think.  The second book got the least amount of prep, and it shows, but nothing some editing can't fix.
Did you have to do any research for this story?  What was the most interesting/funny story connected with your research?

I actually did very little research for this trilogy (so far; that will likely change once I get elbows-deep in editing).  In fact, I think the most "research" I did was when I was reading fairy tales in hopes of getting a story idea.

The funniest thing about this research is that I can't find the fairy tale that lit the spark that became Betrayal and Bravery.  I don't remember the title or anything.  Just that it was about a person who was told to guard the gates of a city and not let anyone in.  So yeah...
Was this story easy or hard to write?  Why?

Admittedly, this trilogy has been a piece of cake.  The characters and plot do occasionally throw me a wrench or two, but I've always been able to redirect and get back on track with ease.  This may change during editing...
Where was your favorite place to write this story?

I do about 98% of my writing on my bed.  A comfortable mattress, some fluffy pillows, some music playing through the speaker...my favorite place to write!

However, I do sometimes relocate to places around the house, or write while away from home.  And one of my favorite times was when I went on a trip with Sarah and Evan, and we go to spend lots of time writing together.

See?  Isn't that beautiful?  :)
What makes your story unique?

Nothing is new under the sun.  We all know that.  So hopefully this will just be a somewhat unique mixing of the typical bratty princesses, gallant heroes, wild horses, grand adventures, and giant castles.

In short, this is just another medieval fantasy story.

It does, however, have tigers, no magic or dragons (sorry my dear dragon lovers!), lots of music and songs, and some quirky characters that should steal a number of readers' hearts!
What do you love most about your story?

The characters.

The characters, definitely.

Did I say the characters?

Yes, the characters.  I love them all so much.  Too bad there's not a way to invite them all over for dinner or something, because that would be so much fun.  Nahale would lead us all in prayer, and then we would all chat over a hearty meal.  For dessert, we'd all sit on the back porch and have ice cream (except for Ondore, who doesn't like sweet things) while my Dad led us all in Family Worship.  There would be some interesting discussion and thoughts exchanged, and then we would sing a number of Psalms to sing (Wisdom would insist we sing the entirety of Psalm 51),  After we clean up from dinner, we would run back outside to play some ultimate Frisbee until dark (I think Anders and Lavern would be the best...maybe Dominin, too; Hahn would get better as the evening wore on, and Maxin would complain about his back the whole time but stubbornly refuse to leave his team).  When it's too dark to see (and everyone is tired of breaking their nails with our light-up Frisbee), we'll break out the instruments and sing and play until late in the evening (Saran would be nodding off, and Duren would sit on the edge of the porch and quietly pluck the fiddle strings while everyone gets ready for bed).  Then I'd have to figure out where to put everyone for the night...

How did I even get on that large rabbit trail???  One minute I was talking about my favorite thing, then...oh well.  Probably should delete that, but I'll leave it.  Someone might find it funny, especially if they've been to my house...



Hopefully you all enjoyed this first part of the special, and come back next week for the next installment!  Also remember to check out the other bloggers: Sarah, Gray, Faith, Keturah, Evan, Lila, Snaps, Jem, and Catherine!  I'll update with links as soon as I can!

26 comments:

  1. I love fairytales so much... so I'm kinda sad to see that you forgot which fairytale you're working on. Looks like we are both working on series! I love what you have so far :D Also, beds are the best place to write!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sad, too. I once tried to look it up a few months ago, and couldn't find it anywhere. Strange...but in any case, I never ended up using that original fairy tale idea anyway, so it doesn't matter. :)

      Beds really are, though!

      Delete
  2. I love this! Sounds like a ton of fun. <3 TIGERS IN A FANTASY WORLD? I NEEDS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes!! Tigers!! They've been very fun to write. :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds epic, Julian!!!
    The music, I like how much you incorporate music. I need to do that some time. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, lots of music!! I gotta have it in there!

      Delete
  4. I thought I already commented on this, but I guess I didn't. Whoops!

    Anyway, I love that this was originally a fairy tale retelling. That's hilarious, seeing as it has nothing to do with one now.

    That location was a dream though. I still crack up over the 'joke' we had there. *facedesk*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardy har har yes a great joke....

      It’s come a looong way from being a fairy tale retelling. :) Hopefully got the better.

      Delete
  5. Your stories are so amazing, Julian! I loved the ten phrases! Particularly how if you start at the beginning of the first one, and the end of the last one and work in to the middle, each phrase has a similar theme...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! The third book brings things back around to the first one. :)

      The middle book kinda does what it wants...

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for starting this, Julian!

    Your story sounds AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this tag, and learning about everyone’s WIPs!

      Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Ahhh, Julian!! I dearly love this trilogy, the 10 phrases was the best part :). And tigers are definitely the coolest part :)

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so much fun doing those 10 phrases!! And wiring the tigers is fun, too!

      Delete
  8. I CAN'T WITH THE IDEA OF THIS STORY. I just... just can't!!!

    Seriously, you are an inspiration. Your trilogy sounds epic. I need. It. Now.

    And AAAAAHHHH the answer to the last question!!! I don't even know who those characters are, but it still painted a vivid picture in my mind. Having my characters over would be AWESOME TOO! :D

    Lila @ The Red-Hooded Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had fun writing that answer/rabbit trail, so I left it up. :) Glad someone found it interesting.

      But I am seriously in love with this trilogy. After working at it for three years, I’m ready to get it finished!

      Delete
  9. This trilogy sounds amazing! And, like Lila said, your ramble about the characters made them really vivid. Now I'm anxious to meet them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I've been writing these guys for a while, so I feel like I know them very well. And I can't wait for everyone to read about them!

      Delete
  10. Enjoyed this post. A trilogy that's a piece of cake? You are one brave woman! BTW, I had a hard time reading the white font on the gray background. You might consider switching it up. Best wishes editing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! For some reason it read well on my phone when I previewed it...but I'll go ahead and change it!

      Delete
  11. This is so awesome! I admire how you can keep track of all three books -- I don't think I'd ever manage to write a trilogy. There are so many plot points and character arcs to keep track of. So kudos to you. xD

    katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't seem to /not/ write more than one book. The stories just keep growing and next thing I know, I have to start a second book...and a third...

      I've only successfully written one stand-alone novel. :) So I admire all you people who are able to keep the plot to one book!

      Delete
  12. *sigh* Julian, Julian, Julian. A trilogy?? Being flexible with the rules already, I see... and you're the one who made the rules. xD

    But seriously, there is no way I could write a trilogy - I'm not plotter enough. (You, on the other hand, even managed to set the trilogy out in three neat and flowing blurbs?? *claps*)
    - Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think it was cheating /that/ much, considering I'm editing the trilogy as a whole at the moment (continuity, and plots and such).

      I don't think it's much of a plotter thing...it's more of an "extra-long story that is so long, I split it into three books." It's one story, just very long...

      The blurbs, on the other hand, did take a bit of careful thought, but I'm quite pleased with the end results. :)

      Delete
    2. So it's more like LotR... one book in three parts? Hmm... I suppose that's not being too flexible with the rules... xP (I'm teasing here ;)

      I still don't think I'd be able to write such a long story - I tend to have trouble supporting a plot the whole way through!

      They're quite good blurbs! :D

      Delete
    3. Exactly! One long "story" in three books. The story doesn't end (and the villain isn't dead) with book one, and start again with a new plot for the second one, and so on. It's just one looooong story plot. So I kinda figured I had some wiggle room there with it. :)

      I have this problem where I can't write short stories. Talk to Sarah...I agonize over flash fiction and stuff. In fact, I've only written one successful stand-alone novel (and there's even been a few ideas for a sequel someday).

      Delete