The 5-Part Writing Special, Part 3: The Main Character

Below you may find the third installment of our March 5-Part Writing Special.  Today is all about my main character, Marywyn Windborne.

(Okay, so funny story - I forgot today was Friday, and as I went to check my blogger feed, I noticed the top one was....a post for my special.  And I was just like what in the world girls, it's not even Friday - that's tomorrow...oh....wait....  *frantically hopes over to publish post*
So yeah.  I forgot it was Friday, lol)



Introduce your Main Character(s):

Marywyn // red hair // villager // flowers // simplicity // kindness

How are the goals of the main character and the villain
clashing?


Marywyn just wants to be left alone.  However, for some reason, lots of people are trying to kill her.  So she begins to fight back to protect herself.  And honestly, things might have eventually simmered down, except Marywyn then stumbled onto some evil plans.  And she couldn't just let the villain go ahead and start a bunch of wars...so off she goes to stop the villain before other people get hurt.

If the villain had just left Marywyn alone at the beginning, none of this would have happened...but no...

What motivates your MC?

Death.  It can be very motivating.

Villain: *tries to kill her*
Marywyn:  Well, look at that, I better do something before I get killed.
Villain:  *tries to start a war*
Marywyn:  That's not going to happen.  I better stop this before everyone else gets killed.

What lie does your MC believe in?

Marywyn believes that things will just settle down and eventually get better.  She thinks that if she just does nothing, eventually the attempts on her life will stop, the villain will leave her alone, and she can just be forgotten.  She thinks that the "mistake" will sort itself out, and all the danger will go away.  Marywyn believes that she has no part of this war, that she's unimportant, and has nothing to give in all this.

What is one trait the MC disapproves of in his/herself?

Marywyn is not a brave person, and she hates her fear.  She wishes she were brave, but at the slightest appearance of danger all words leave her mouth, her limbs freeze, and she can think of nothing but fear and death.  Even in daily life, she is cautious and avoids anything scary - great heights, strange horses, dark corners, and speaking with strangers.

What does the MC love about him/herself?

She is quite proud of her green thumb.  She loves gardening and making things grow, and is quite good at it.

What is your MC’s greatest strength and weakness?

When it gets right down to it, I think Marywyn's greatest strength is her loyalty to duty.  As she journeys through the pages of the trilogy, she faces many struggles, but in the end, despite fear, despite danger, despite how many are against her, she does what must be done, be it fight for the Princess, gallop a horse, or speak before great armies.  She may not like it, or she may even be scared of it, but she'll do it.

And that can also be a weakness.  She'll put herself in great danger if she feels that better good would come of it.  It might be reckless, it might be foolishness, it might not even be needed in the end - but if she thinks it has to be done, she'll do it, right then and there.

But that being said, her greatest weakness is likely her fear.  She has loads of it.  She fears doing new things, scary things, dangerous things, you name it.  It can often overrule her sense of duty.  It can silence her when she needs to talk.  It can send her babbling when she needs to be silent.  It can freeze her body when she needs action.  It can send her running when she needs to stand.

What does your MC like to do when they’re bored?

Marywyn likes to go outside and do something.  Because she's a poor reader, she's never been one to just sit around and read or anything like that.  She's used to going outside and weeding the garden, or tending to the animals, or doing other things useful.  So basically, if she's bored, she likes to go and get some work done.

What does the MC look like?  (Bonus points for picture)

Marywyn has always been a red-head (though the shades change from vibrant red, to just a faint, brownish-red). 

Then I came across this picture and knew: Marywyn also has freckles.


In the first book, she wears a rough, homespun brown most of the time, but as she works in the Royal City and starts traveling, she buys and otherwise acquires nicer, more colorful clothing.

How is your MC similar to and different from you?

Heh heh.  I used to think Marywyn and I were vastly different.

Marywyn loves gardening.  I stink at it.
Marywyn doesn't like horses.  I love them.
I can read (and enjoy it).  Marywyn struggles with it and doesn't read much.
I can play a variety of instruments.  Marywyn doesn't play anything.

But then I got to thinking, and while we may not have the same likes/dislikes, we both are similar in other ways.

We both would rather be left alone to our normal, every-day things.  We don't have this "wanderlust" attitude, and we certainly don't aspire to be heroic.  We prefer the simple things.  And we both like goats and children and talking to friends and being outside.




So what do you think of Marywyn?  Would you like to invite her over for tea?  Maybe chat about gardening, adventures, or spoiled princesses... 

Links will be updated as available: Sarah, Gray, Faith, Keturah, Evan, Lila, Snaps, Jem, Catherine.

12 comments:

  1. Honestly? This is AWESOME. I love redhead heroines....I feel like there's not enough of them in fiction, especially spec-fic. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go home every day and am instantly surrounded by 2-9 little red-heads (depending on how many neighbor kids join by younger siblings), all asking me how my day was, if they can ride the horses, and eagerly showing me what they've been up to. So I kind of fell in love with these red-haired folks.

      But there are a number of red-heads in this book. :)

      My hair can be auburn if hit in the right light when it's not too dirty and nasty. XD

      Delete
  2. You were right! I'd bet Piper and her would be best friends if they met!!!

    I love redheaded MCs. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have a thing for red hair now, but that's perfectly okay...

      Delete
  3. I would most assuredly invite her to tea, Janina definitely would like to meet her :). (Actually, I'd love to arrange a coffee/tea date with Marywyn, Esma (Faith's MC) and Janina, I think that would be so cool :) ).

    I'm like Marywyn when I'm bored - I need something to do STAT otherwise I go loony.

    Yes, indeed, death is a good motivator *nods*

    And I love that she's a red-head but not the sterotypical hot-headed impulsive redhead ;).

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (That would be really fun!!! We should totally try to do that, even if we just email back and forth or open a google doc for it...)

      She may be slightly impulsive from time to time, but she's definitely not the spunky, hot-headed type. :)

      Delete
  4. Marywyn sounds amazing!!! And I loooooove how you answered the What Motivates Her question. xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Death. It can be very motivating." xD

    I like how not only does Marywyn have a mirrored strenth/weakness set of characteristics, but her weaknesses are also conflicting? I mean, it seems like she feels strongly that she must do anything that she considers her duty, but she's also terrified of most of those activities. Does she struggle with guilt over not being able to do everything, or does she force herself to overcome her fears?
    - Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She mostly just panics in situations, and then does something stupid - either dropping everything and running for her life (which she will struggle with guilt for), or else running towards the danger thinking that's the right thing to do and forcing her Bloodkeeper to drop what he's doing and save her neck.

      Delete
    2. Now I'm picturing her Bloodkeeper (those two words are so intriguing?? I need to know more about that!) turning up and saving her in an effortless but casually annoyed fashion like "Would you stop trying to do the right thing??"

      Delete
  6. MARYWYN!!!! I finally get to know more about her! This book is so great!!

    I love how innocent/simplistic her mind is. It seems that everyone is into these super detailed, complex characters, so it's nice to see her personality making its way into the YA world.

    ReplyDelete