Favorite Literary Friendships

So a while (quite a long while) back, I talked about my favorite fictional romances.  And that’s fine; though maybe a little ridiculous, tbh.  But not all great friendships in stories are romances.  So today I’m going to talk about some of my favorite friendships in literature.  (No shipping allowed!)

Marcus and Esca from The Eagle of the Ninth

This has always been one of my favorite historical fiction books ever.  The movie only made everything better, in my opinion.  (The Return of the Eagle is one of the best soundtrack pieces ever!!)  These guys go through some pretty tough stuff together, but they push aside their differences and slowly learn to trust and help each other.  (The movie displays this in a more exciting way.)

The Wingfeathers from The Wingfeather Saga

I love them all so much.  Janner, Kalmar, Leeli...  I mean, they annoy each other and yell at each other and then fight back to back and it’s just adorable.  Being the Eldest and Supreme Sibling of the family myself, I particularly love Janner’s storyline, and how he learns to care for his younger siblings and sacrifice himself for them.

Shad and Leith from The Blades of Acktar

I thought they would try to see who was the coolest.  I thought they would fight each other.  I thought they would hate each other.  But…they didn’t.  They just...accepted each other.  Became friends.  Helped each other out.  And I love it.

Vanyar and Jewel from Heritage of Kings

Jewel's a Princess, with elegance, good manners, and everything someone with royal blood should be.  Vanyar's a half-breed.  She's lived her own since she was eight, and knows nothing about etiquette whatsoever.  You think they would have a hard time getting along, yet they practically adopt each other.  Many years later, after they've gone on their separate paths, they continue to write and visit each other, and it's so adorable to watch them together, because they're so different, and yet really enjoy each other's company.

Walter and Ashley from Dragons in our Midst

Walter himself was a particularly memorable part of my childhood.  His humor (and the voice of the actor who played him in the audio version) stuck with me for many years.  But I loved the bits where he was with Ashley...those two were epic.
"Supposedly you came along to protect me.  Don't you know what chivalry means?"
Walter lowered his head.  "Sure.  I know what it means."  He slowly lifted his eyes and extended his half-eaten Moonpie.  "Want a bit of this?"

That will forever be one of my favorite lines.  Ever.  (I haven't read any other books outside of the four in the Raising Dragons series...so maybe these two eventually get married??  I dunno.  But anyway...)
Anakin and Obi-Wan from The Revenge of the Sith
So we all know Anakin's story.  But the first 15 or so minutes in this movie (or book) are just the best of the whole Star Wars saga.  We get to see Anakin and Obi-Wan working together, as old friends, on a mission.  And the way they work with each other, pass banter, and trust each other is just really enjoyable to see.  If only it could have stayed that way...

Tintin and Captain Haddock from The Adventures of Tintin
Ever since my Dad read aloud these comic to me, when I was just a wee lass, I've loved seeing Tintin and Captain Haddock solve mysteries and go on adventures together.  They are just so much fun!!
Anyone else read these books?  Agree with me?  Fight me?  Enjoy my red cover theme??  :)

2 comments:

  1. I love a great deal of these friendships, especially Anikin and Obi-wan's. That will always have a place in my heart. And, while it's been a while since I last read Dragons in Our Midst, I remember loving Walter.

    Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, these all sound so good! I've read the first three books of the Wingfeathers (though not the last one), and I gotta agree, those siblings are just amazing! The way they love unconditionally and sacrifice for each other. It's beautiful.

    And ANAKIN AND OBI-WAN *heart-eyes* I love them, and the beginning of ROTS is one of my favorite parts in all of the Star Wars Universe. Their friendship was a thing of beauty.

    Walter and Ashley! I'd forgotten that quote specifically, but I do remember loving those two: Ashley for her smarts and Walter... because he's Walter.

    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete