A Warning

I can't remember what year it was.  2007 or 2008, I think.  But I remember the day clearly - it was a Sunday morning.  I was playing with my friends at church when my dad called me over.
 
"See that little girl over there?"  He pointed to a blonde-haired girl, sitting by herself in one of the rows of chairs.  I had never seen her before, so her family must have been visiting.  "Why don't you go over and say hello to her."
 
Now my dad is famous for making sure I greet people - visitors, people in old folk's homes, neighbors, you name it.  I've gone to say hello to strangers so many times at his bidding that I've lost track.
 
This time would surely be no different.  I went over and said something, which I don't remember.  Probably some sort of greeting.  I might have made the comment that she has the same name of one of my cousins.  Asked her if she liked horses (a standard conversation starter of mine when I was little).  I don't really remember what happened.
 
I also don't remember what I did when this girl and her family returned to church the next Sunday.  And the one after that.  And again and again until they had been going for years.
 
I just remember that Sarah Rodecker became my best friend - a friend to share adventures with (like impromptu Psalm sings, horse riding trips, races, trips to theme parks, farm work, and vacations).  A friend I can share prayer requests with.  A friend who always points me to the Lord and somehow manages to deal with my occasional memory glitches and sugar highs. 
 
So exercise caution when greeting strangers.  They might stick around and become your best friend.
 
Happy birthday, Sarah!

12 comments:

  1. That's so awesome! Happy birthday, Sarah!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is a lovely surprise! We've had many good years together with lots of adventures!

    Basically, I think my mom gave me a kick in the pants and made me hang out with you (because I was deathly shy). Aren't we glad for demanding parents?

    But thanks so much for this, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, happy birthday to Sarah! And this is a beautiful testimony to y'all's friendship <3 Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the sweetest! Happy birthday, Sarah!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the greatest!! :D Happy birthday, Sarah!!
    (SUCH a good way to start posts, thinking something scary is coming... thanks, Julian!) XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, this is the sweetest thing I've read!! Happy birthday, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great post! And so true! This is the sign of a real hospitable nature, a must ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, I love this! Not what I expected when I first started reading the post... XD

    Happy birthday to Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, I loved hearing this story! Happy Birthday, Sarah!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete