How I Ride (a miniseries)

A brief little wrap-up to my series, featuring my horses (who I don't think have actually gotten their own post yet???)


I don't really do anything fancy with my horses.  We aren't on the show circuits or the rodeos.  Not that I'm a bad rider, or that my horses are wild.  Far from it.


Short Rides at Home

Most of the time, I'm just riding around my house.  I swing on bareback after work and ride down the road before dark.  I race around the row of apple trees lining the driveway.  I give my little sisters and the neighborhood kids pony rides and mini lessons.  I might hitch the cart and trot up the road. 
That's as laid back as my rides get.

My Personal Trails

This is where it gets crazy.  The trails we've cut back behind the house range from let's drive the Jeep through the woods to isn't this a deer path? to I think I just swallowed a spider when that last branch hit me in the face.

They're not maintained very well.

The Local Trails
I have a 6 mile trail in town, and it's wide, rolling, and relaxing.  There are always other people riding their horses, so it's fun to go and show off my horses and admire others in return.

But the other trail...a 30 mile one...I can go for miles and never see another soul.  The trail is beautiful, winding along creeks, farms, and the mountains.  But it's narrow.  I usually get my knees squished between horse side and tree at least once every time.  It's rocky (made sure the horses have shoes!).  And it's relaxing.

I just gotta watch my knees.



Carriage/Cart Driving

I drive up and down the road, and even to town, when I feel like it.  There are also a few local trails where I can take carts, and I also have some driving buddies that I occasionally meet up with and we challenge each other to some cones courses.


Jennifer's House

She has around 6-8 miles at her house, and has a number of young kids.  And do you know what kids like?  Galloping.  And guess what her trails are?  Hay fields, and the roads leading to hay fields.  So guess what we do a lot of?  Galloping.
The Horse Resort

There's a place about an hour and a half away I go to about once a year.  They've got hundreds of trails up in the mountains, and you can camp in a tent or RV, or rent a cabin.  They've got barns to keep the horses in (and some cabins have their own private barns). 

It's fun.  But the trails.

The hard ones are straight up and straight down, and in poor condition because hardly anyone ever goes on them.  The easy ones are covered in mud because they're flat and used so many times.  The maps are confusing and the trails incorrectly marked.  We get lost every time we go.

But it's fun.  Really.  It is.


Ride and Ties
Two people and one horse.  One takes off on the horse, galloping madly down the trail, leaving the other teammate behind.  After a while, the rider dismounts, ties the horse to a tree, and starts running.  The other person catches up to the horse, mounts, and takes off, passing the other person.

Repeat until race is finished.

Obstacle Courses
hese are fun, too.  And the horses seem to enjoy them.  I've done ones in arenas, and ones where you go along a trail.  But you're judged on time as well as how well you and your horse complete the obstacles.







Mounted Archery

Fairly self explanatory.  Arrows + Horses = Galloping off on your horse while firing arrows into the sunset.

This is my newest "horse thing" so I haven't gone to any official events.  I just set up my own course and trot the horses along, shooting arrows.  But it's fun, because my brother will actually do it with me.



 
Shows
I don't show a lot, and when I do, it's usually just benefit shows.  I enjoy watching others in the ring, but since I'm not strictly English or Western, it makes showing a little difficult (which class does an Australian saddle fit into? lol). 

But I know where my horses and I truly shine - trying new things, tackling challenging trails, and bringing smiles to little children.
Bonus: Meet my Horses
So I don't think I've ever actually introduced my horses before?  I mean, I've shown pictures of them and all, but never given them a post to themselves before.  To be honest, I've tried to not bring them up too much, since this is a writing/reading blog, not a horse blog.

I've put this off for far too long.





Cord is my first horse, now a 28 year old Paso Fino gelding.  He was a retired show horse when we got him, and he has faithfully taught me so much about trail riding, showing, and just being around horses.  He is now semi-retired - technically for little kids only, but I can still swing up and ride him bareback around the house for a short ride.




Spirit was my second horse, a Tennessee Walker.  He's the perfect trail horse, and standing at a big 16.3 hands, anyone can ride him, adults and children alike!  He has smooth gaits, and is patient and tolerant of beginners.  He's slowly moving into retirement as well, since he's 21 years old, but he still enjoys trail riding and being loved on.








Pepper is my dream horse.  He will do anything I ask him, be it a Ride and Tie race, mounted archery, driving, representing the Friesian breed at the fair, or just babysitting my little sisters.  He is an attention seeker, and loves being around people.  He's done a lot for an 8 year old, and has become my go-to horse for anything and everything!



Bree is my newest addition, and my first ever Quarter Horse!  He's tiny, at 14 hands, and is like a huge puppy dog!  He follows me around, begging for attention.  He's young, at 5 years old, and already is a solid trail mount.  I look forward to introducing him to some more things and turning him into an all-around horse.

11 comments:

  1. YOUR HORSES. <333 And this was such a cool post! Loved the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVED this post!!!! Your horses sound so amazing! And mounted archery looks really fun (although I have never tried it before)... I love archery! I need to teach Rosie leg cues. :) And great pictures throughout this post!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mounted archery is pretty cool!! And it's nice doing something with my brother. :) Teaching leg cues is really useful, especially for opening gates or doing various other obstacles.

      Delete
  3. Ah, good ol' RAT and Leatherwood! What a way to die, am I right? JK. Maybe next year, once my vowed year away from horses is over, I'll do some RATs again! I mean, what's life without the Iron Mt. experience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! Enjoy your time off, and when you feel ready to come back, I'll have a saddle waiting for you.

      Delete
  4. FUN! I didn't know you did carriage riding along with regular trail riding!! And Mounted Archery looks SO COOL (though I bet it's harder than it looks, LOL). I thought Australian saddles looked more English than Western, but I guess both styles would have an influence considering the history, location and the rich ranching traditions in Australia...

    PLEASE STAY SAFE OUT THERE! I know Hurricane Florence is about to pack a nasty punch to NC, hope you and Sarah make it out without too much damage!!!!!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been driving for a few years (basically when I got Pepper). I had a driving Haflinger before, but I only ever rode her (she had a horrible bucking problem). I really enjoy it!

      Both of my Aussie saddles have horns - one is a Western/Australian hybrid, the other is regular Aussie with a horn. I used to have one without a horn, but I traded it for a horse (sold that horse a few years ago).

      We're hopeful we'll miss most of the nasty weather, though we're sure to get some wind/rain from it. But pray nothing horrible happens!

      Delete
  5. That is actually an AWESOME post!! :D Wow, you have more than one horse!
    And mounted archery... it looks like a huge amount of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mounted archery is pretty cool - I'm hoping to do quite a bit of that next year!

      Delete
  6. Lovely horses. I have two horses. I am training one and have a old one. Driving looks cool have you ever tried jumping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have not tried jumping, though I do hop over creeks, logs and hay bales. Nothing big and impressive, though! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete