5 Reasons to Attend Write2Ignite2019!

The Write2Ignite Conference is this month, and I just want to drop a quick reminder to anyone near SC (or willing to travel).  Check it out!!!  It's a smaller conference, but that doesn't mean it's not a good one.  :)

As some of y'all may know, Realm Makers was not my first writing conference, and I'm so glad it worked out this way!  Going to Write2Ignite last year was such a wonderful experience and I'm pretty bummed I can't go this year (due to a race schedule).

And since I can't go...I want to encourage y'all to go instead, because it's definitely worth it!

So why should you go to Write2Ignite?



1 - Less Money

Let's face it - writing conferences can be expensive!  There's travel costs, lodging, food, the conference fee itself, book tables...  But because W2I is smaller, it doesn't cost a lot of money to attend.  AND you still get amazing courses and opportunities!



2 - Less People

Yes, this can be a bonus, especially if you're an introvert.  Smaller conferences are not as crowded, so there's less people to navigate around.  Less people asking you that dreaded "what's your book about" question.  Less people who will grab the attention of the editors, agents, and writers that you want to talk to.  It's a lot easier to approach someone and have a conversation when there isn't a huge line of other people wanting to talk as well.



3 - Relaxed

Yes, the Realm Makers peeps all made me feel welcome, but there was always so much going on, I really couldn't take it all in and enjoy it!  At W2I I was able to calmly stroll the campus between sessions, engage in conversations, and even take a catnap.  If you want to talk and be social the whole time, you can, but you can also take 10 minutes to chill (or to call your parents) if you need it.

4 - Confidence

I'm so glad I went to W2I before heading to RM.  With the skills I'd gleaned from W2I, I was able to face RM with confidence.  I "knew the drill" now.  Check in.  Find out what rooms you'll be in.  Set plans.  That sort of thing.

Admittedly, I panicked when I went to W2I.  I was afraid to talk to people.  I did a bit of wandering around.  But the second day of W2I, I felt more comfortable.  And when I finally went to RM, I knew what to expect and was prepared.



5 - Different

W2I is geared more towards MG and even younger genres (think picture books).  But it is still a Christian writing conference.  You can still make connections.  You can still learn from the classes.  Just because it wasn't especially geared towards "YA speculative fiction" didn't mean that I didn't learn a thing.  It was not a waste of time.  :)

(Hey, and there is a class on writing for YA this year!!)



Not persuaded?  Mosey over to the Write2Ignite website and check out the schedule and speakers and all that fun stuff.  Maybe you'll be interested in giving it a try!

10 comments:

  1. I thought about going this year, but certain life events are scheduled and I can't sacrifice them for anything. Maybe next year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am signed up and ready to attend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, this conference sounds awesome!! lovely post <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sounds like a great writing conference! Not sure if I will go. Some day for sure.

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it would be a few more years before I went to one, and then this one showed up, practically on the doorstep, and it was really great to go.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It really is! I mean, it's small, but everything starts off that way. It'll just get bigger and better!

      Delete