Things I Look Forward To // Being Published

I dream of being published someday - and what writer doesn't?  That mental picture of holding a printed book in our hands - with our name on the cover - is what can push us on when we're discouraged.  It's what we hope to accomplish.  But what other sort of things can happen once you're published?  What do you have to look forward to?
  • Holding a book with your name on the cover.  Seriously...how is that not cool?  How is that not rewarding?  Don't you just get shivers of excitement by imagining a beautiful cover...with that title you picked...your name...your words inside...
  • Putting your book on your shelf.  Oh, the feels...to see my printed work beside my favorite works by other authors.
  • Bragging rights.  (Also known as Getting to introduce yourself as an Author.)  You can get an "I am an Author" bumper sticker to put on your car.  When meeting new people you can call yourself an Author.  You can hand out business cards and not look weird.  You no longer have to smile awkwardly and say, "Well, I'm not finished with the book yet."
  • New work.  Yes, just because it's published doesn't mean I'm done.  There will be other things to do...getting the book out there so others can read it...book signings...newsletters....publicitiy....the whole lot.  But you know?  It's something different than first drafting and editing, and right now, I'm ready for something different, even if it's harder.
  • The Fandom.  You know your favorite book, and how much time you spend obsessing about it?  Someone, someday, may do the same with the very story you are writing right now.  I can't wait to see what  fanart, fanfics, and ships people come up with!  I can't wait to see what characters are loved most...what pairings are best loves...and what little stories (or giant epics) they will write with my characters.
  • Starting something new.  Once this trilogy is finished (published), I can't wait to start working on the next book or series.  (Wait...I thought I said I was ready to stop drafting and editing???  Oh well....)
  • Seeing my hard work accomplishing something.  All those late nights...the plotting headaches....the crude maps....the editing blues....and this is what came of all that.
What do y'all look forward to (in regards to your WIPs)?  Anything I should add to the list?

14 comments:

  1. Ahhh, Julian, you have described the writer's dream!! I loved reading this post!

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote a "Letter to my publisher...movie producer...etc" once. I should see if I can find it...

      Delete
  2. Yes! All the things. I also think it would be awesome to talk to other aspiring writers and encourage them in their journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just dreaming of seeing that book someday really helps me get "in the writing mood" lol

      Delete
  3. The joy that will come when Ive published my book kind of brims on the horizon. I’m so excited for that day, and I really, really hope it comes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of these things are the best and #goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. THIS WHOLE POST IS JUST YESSSSS. I have to say, I probably dream about covers more than I should... xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. This makes me excited for all of us. XD
    I actually don't plan to tell people I'm an author. I want the two parts of my life separate. Especially with where I think God is leading me, I don't want one part of my life to affect the other. No one will really know because I most likely won't do a picture of my face as my author picture for my book. It might be different. Or it might not be. I just have to see where God is leading me.

    But being able to hold a book with a cover and title and know YOU created it is probably an awesome feeling. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to wave my published books in faces and demand they buy it whenever I'm around people, but I would be proud to mention "...and I'm also an author..." when being introduced and such. But I don't want to be known solely as an author. :)

      But I can't wait to hold my books...as real books, and not just docs on a flash drive. XD

      Delete
  7. Nice question. I hope some teens will read my book and resonate with the message. And ultimately, I hope it will glorify God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I hope people will read my books and be encouraged.

      And did the dear Mrs. S ever hand you your old copy of The Escape? I was going to return it when I was at GPC a few weeks ago, but you were away for Thanksgiving. She said she would get it to you for me.

      Delete