Shared WIP Tag - Camp Goals

Hello everyone - it's this time of the year again!!  Welcome to the 2019 Shared WIP Tag.  This time around, we're focusing on our writing goals.  (Fun, right?)




What WIP(s) are you working on this Camp NaNo?
A stand-alone fantasy novel titled Rauladin.

What goal did you set for it, and why did you choose that goal?
My goal is basically to edit it for 10 minutes every day (except for Sundays).  That's what I've been doing with it through March, and I've been pretty happy with that goal and the results.  Usually by the time the timer ends, I keep writing for another 5-10 minutes.

So, in short, a goal of...260 minutes??

Can you give us a short synopsis of the WIP?
Havendenara-The forest of the Kinsmen. We don't go in, and they don't come out.

Raul just wanted to live in his little shack and tend to his goats and keep up the family tradition of protecting the country from the fierce and wild Kinsmen living in Havendenara. He didn't ask for any of this "go out and save the country from an invading enemy" drama. Oh, and he didn't really want a mad Kinsman as his bodyguard, but he did happen to save the man's life, making the honor-bound soul feel indebted. Not to mention that gypsy girl Ravenna is convinced he is the hero her legends speak of. To be honest, his father only named him after the Rauladin legends to annoy the Old Order-which worked pretty well.

Gwen just wanted to rule her Kinsman clan, marry her betrothed, and follow the traditions of her people in continuing the clan wars. But when a riderless griffin flies into the stable, with a bloody note tied to the saddle, her world falls to shambles. Her betrothed is dead and the killer is coming to marry-or kill-her himself. With no time to loose, she runs for her life-out of the forest and into a land where the commoners fear her and the gypsies hate her. Her only hope lies in the Rauladin legend-or rather, a farmer named after a legend.

How long have you been working on this WIP?
I started writing this back for Camp in April of 2017, reached my goal and then took a break.  I picked the draft back up for July Camp and finished the book.  Since then it's mostly been sitting, though I occasionally get an idea or a reminder of something that needs to be done, and I jot that down for when I begin the edits.

2 years, basically.

Where did the idea come from?
I was at mile 9 or so of a half-marathon race when a scene popped into my head - a bunch of boys exploring some creepy woods and finding a half-dead person tied up in a tree.  (I think I had too much Gatorade and skittles or something.)  Anyway, I basically chanted my idea over and over, slowly adding stuff, as I finished the 4+ miles (all uphill!!!) and could finally write things down.




Do you think you’ll be able to meet your goal?  Why or why not?
Probably will make it, since it's an admittedly simple goal.
Though I'm actually doing another project during Camp as well (which I'll talk about next week), and it does take more time out of my evenings.

Did you make any goals for March (Camp Prep)? Were you able to fulfill those?
Not any actual "prep goals."  Basically, I've been doing 10 minutes of Rauladin a day already, only I haven't been logging in my time.  I'm just continuing the habit through April and keeping track of it and making sure I actually write every day.

Are there any aesthetics/music you’d like to share? Any goals regarded to these artistic endeavors?
I actually don't have any aesthetics, and this is my single (fantasy) story that doesn't have any music in it.  Not one song.  Not one character plays an instrument.  One person, however, is an artist, so maybe that kind of took the place of music??  I don't even have any playlists for Rauladin or music that kind of goes along with it.  Kinda sad.  Maybe I need to fix this?

Share a snippet from your WIP.
Raul rose to his feet, lifting his gaze to stare the King right in the face. His companion also stood, and as he threw back his head, the crowd gasped, for there, across his cheek, ran two scars – the mark of a warring Kinsmen. Again, the guardsmen reached for their swords, but the King held up a hand.

“Rauladin, son of Sarador, what do you mean to bring a Kinsman into the Court of the King? Do you not know the law?”

“Aye, I know the law. I've spent my life ensuring it is kept. This is my bodyguard-slave, in accordance with the laws of your Kingdom. I can name witnesses, should you desire them.”

A sneer stretched across the King’s face, yet surprise still glimmered in the eyes of many of the courtiers and guards. “You would trust your life into the hands of a Kinsman?” His unspoken question hung over the great hall: How foolish are you?

Raul turned to his bodyguard, his shoulders rising in a half-shrug. "He trusts me with his own life, and I suppose that's good enough for me."
What's a Bible verse that sums up the theme in your WIP? or else helps you focus as you tackle what projects you've made for your goal?
1 Peter 5:5-7.

Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

(Bonus points if you correctly guess if that applies to me or the characters...)

Thanks again to everyone for stopping by and reading this!  I look forward to sharing more about Camp and my writing goals this month!

Don't forget to check out the other folks!

Ceci, Catherine, Nicole, Sarah, Faith, Ariel

18 comments:

  1. Hey! (This is actually me, Boots, on my writing account. I recently "started" my blog, so I will be commenting from here from now on ;)!)

    This was AMAZING!!!! Your book sounds really really good!!! It needs to be published, like, today. LOL

    Anywho, thank you for this, it was amazing!!

    ~ Lily Cat (Boots) | lilycatscountrygirlconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Congrats on starting your blog!! Not sure I can take part in spreading the news, as I'm craaaaaazy busy, but I'll be sure to sign up if I think I can later!)

      This book is a favorite. I can't wait to share it with everyone!

      Delete
    2. (Thankk you so so much!! That sounds awesome!! Don't feel compelled to, I know how it is to be busy! ;) Infact, that's why I haven't released it right now. I've got some crazy busies coming up!)

      Ohh, I can see why!!! Haha, and I can't wait to see it! :P

      ~ Lily Cat (Boots) | lilycatscountrygirlconfessions.blogspot.com

      Delete
  2. Whoa, I'm really interested in this now! Have fun during Camp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *is currently loaded down with work* I'M TRYING TO HAVE FUN!!! (My epic cabin mates help, tho.)

      Delete
  3. I love this post! And ahhh, the synopsis and that snippet sound AMAZING. *squeals* I lurvs it very very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The premise sounds really cool, and I can't wait to see more of the dynamic between the Kinsman and Rauladin :) And I really like the Bible verse that you chose.

    Lovely post, Julian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Their dynamic is really fun to write. :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds SO SO SO SO GOOD, Julian!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the good ol' Rauladin! It's good to hear of it again. And I'm glad things are going well for you as far as your goal goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not that bad of a book. :) I'm having fun working on it again!

      Delete
  7. This sounds really interesting and from the tone in your blurb and snippet, Rauladin sounds like he would be a fun character to read about! :)

    www.melodypersonetteauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I kinda think he is a fun character to write...

      Delete
  8. I can TOTALLY relate to getting random, sometimes disturbing story ideas when doing something completely unrelated. Happens all the time. :P

    Your story sounds really cool! I love the synopsis.

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice to know other writers have the same weird stuff happen...

      Delete
  9. Your Nano WIP sounds exciting! :)
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete