The 5-Part Writing Special, Part 5: Music and Tears

Welcome to the last part of the 5-Part Writing Special in which Julian Daventry does what she wants (and cries because it's the last day of the 5-Part Special).

I absolutely love this tag and all the community that goes with it.  Watching everyone bring up and decide upon questions, and then getting to read all the answers...I love it!!!!

Thanks again, to everyone for taking part in it, and for all the readers who follow along.

The stories mentioned in this tag...*shivers*...they just sound so epic and I can't wait to read them!!!

Now let me go cry because I have to wait a bit to read them.


IN OTHER WORDS

Because I don't do art.
Or make epic Pinterest boards to show people.
Or make aesthetics to show people.
Or playlists.

My plan is to...
See the source image

Okay, I'll be a little more professional than that. 

I do have some music here for you today which is not as cool as everyone else's boards and aesthetics and drawings that I hope you enjoy.

What made Julian Daventry put so much music in her trilogy?

Answer 1: I'm a musical kind of person, and really enjoy songs and poetry in books I read.  (Think like The Lord of the Rings, here.)  It just makes sense to have a little of that in my books, right?

Answer 2:  While I was brainstorming for this trilogy, I happened to watch Only Old Men Are Going to Battle.  The way the squadron went out and fought their battles, and then gathered together afterward to play music together really inspired the West Band warriors, their fiddle-playing Captain, and the musical gatherings in Betrayal and Bravery


This video can't be used to show what the music is like in my trilogy, as no one speaks Russian (or plays the balalaika).  But that's what inspired it.

All that was left to do was decide what exactly the music would be like.

 

That is a good example of what might be heard during one such music-making, or perhaps even performed in the castle before Royalty.  Some of the West Band warriors, while not professionals, are quite good with their instruments.  :)

I recently discovered this album on SoundCloud, and it's great for musical inspiration.  Not every track is what might be heard in Betrayal and Bravery, but some tracks come very close.
https://soundcloud.com/christian-mendoze/sets/dictionary-of-medieval
Seriously, check that it.  It's pretty neat!

When I was beginning to write/brainstorming the first book, Words of Gold, I listened to the Tolkien Ensemble quite a bit.  Not necessarily what you might hear if you were to drop in to the story, but it help me write a good chunk of the first book.


So what do y'all think?  Not as entertaining as everyone else's posts, but still...a little insight on the music in Betrayal and Bravery.  :)


Links will be updated as available: Sarah, Gray, Faith, Keturah, Evan, Lila, Snaps, Jem, Catherine.

Thanks so much to all these wonderful bloggers who took part in the second go-around of my special!!!!  I do plan on doing at least one more this year, right before NaNo so we can all talk about the novels we're getting ready to write.

I hope everyone has enjoyed learning about some super awesome books that are in the works.  I'd love to have all of them put on my bookshelf.  Now.

Thanks again, guys.  You're the best!

18 comments:

  1. Yay!! I can't believe how much time has flown by. I've been following this challenge since it started, though I feel like I haven't done that great of a job. #oops XD

    Having music is an important part to a book in my opinion. It's the soundtrack of the movie your book will be made out of eventually. XD XD

    Congrats on reaching the end. I can't wait to hear about the next round. Maybe I'll be able to be a part of it. (I can't make any promises this early on. I just got a job, so I have no clue how things will be when it gets to that point. XD)

    Have a happy Easter and a happy Good Friday. He is RISEN. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know for sure I'll do another one close to the end of the year, so we can spotlight our NaNo novels. Might do another one during the summer, just not sure yet. I'd hate to overwhelm people, you know?

      But hey - getting a job is a good thing. :) Don't apologize for it!

      Delete
  2. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR DOING THIS, JULIAN!!! This was so epic and so much fun, thank you for all your hard work to make this possible. <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!! I love watching everyone get together and answer the questions!!

      Delete
  3. Haha, great post, JD. Thanks for putting this on. I know everyone really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Evan. Thanks for dragging your introvert self over to take part. :)

      Delete
  4. This was such a fun round of the Special. Thanks for hosting it! I can't wait for the next one!!

    Music is always an awesome part of the story-making process! I just love it! Great job on the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wasn't really sure what to do for this post, actually, so I just linked to a couple videos...that's good enough, right?

      Delete
  5. Eee, this was so cool! And thank you so much for organizing this whole thing, Julian! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, thanks so much for creating this fun link up! And I LOVE THAT RUSSIAN SONG ;D For some reason I always find Russian music funny (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russian is so much fun...the language, movies, art, people, everything. :) My family has a thing for Russian movies, and we watch ones almost more than we watch movies in English. :D

      Delete
  7. It's amazing what people are inspired by to create things :). I dearly loved listening to these tracks and finding out what your music aesthetic is.

    I dearly loved participating in this tag, Julian! I hope to do the next one!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My music aesthetic is a little odd, I think. Got a jumble of all sorts of things. But I would say it's fairly close to old celtic or something. (After all, Duren plays a fiddle, not a violin, in the book, lol.)

      Thanks for participating, Catherine! I loved getting to know more about your WIP!

      Delete
  8. I love how much music/poetry is in LotR (and in the movie versions too), so I love that you were inspired by it to have lots of music in your own story!

    And that Russian song is pretty cool... although I have no idea what they're saying... (Those snotty soldiers with their mocking clapping, though... I hope the women [who seemed to be enjoying it] cut them down to size??)

    Thank you for organizing the Special, Julian! I've really enjoyed it - and it reignited my love for Three Sisters, so thank you. <3
    - Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While LotR may not be what heavily influced this series, it is still a series that I read over and over when I was little, so I'm sure it has a bit of influence on everything I write in one way or another!

      That's actually not the full clip of the movie...???? That's strange. Here's a link to the full part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0ysmyCz9No Everyone wants to be nice to the ladies, since they're the only ones in the war camp, so they all kinda fight over them.

      Thanks for taking part, Jem, and I can't wait to read Three Sisters when you're finished!!

      Delete
  9. This is so cool. I love hearing about the music that goes with a novel in progress! :D

    ReplyDelete