The Comp Title Challenge

So I was reading Lisa's post and couldn't help but think how exciting the tag was, and how it would be cool if I could do it....and then she tagged me at the end and I was super excited!!!  I couldn't wait to start comparing my stories to other books out there!

And then....I ran into problems.

What books are my stories like???


We all try so very hard to stop from being rip-offs of other stories, so we all try to not write them with already published works in mind, right?

So after some (extremely long) consideration, this is what I have for y'all today.

Here goes....

The Betrayal and Bravery Trilogy

Forest Born meets Common


When I first read Forest Born, I instantly fell in love with Hale's writing, and I just remember thinking, I want to write a series just like this one!  And while I promise I'm not intentionally copying stuff here (or writing fanfiction), there are similarities: A simple village (or forest born!) girl ends up going on adventures with some heroes (sort of by accident), where she meets people who have a powerful way with words.
And I have not read Common yet, but when I was reading the blurb for it, my first reaction was "This is a lot like Betrayal and Bravery!!!"  A red-haired girl who works in the castle and stumbles upon a secret and has to save the day with some underdogs and gets banished and needs to gather her courage."  So yeah, this book is on my TBR...partly because I want to make sure our books aren't too similar, and also because it sounds really cool!
(Hey, a book review - consider that as a bonus)
(Also, can you review a book before you read it??)

Rauladin

I really struggled over this one, and finally turned to Sarah for help.  She usually does a wonderful job helping me with things like this, because she knows my stories well, yet is able to look at them from different angles. 

This is what she suggested, and I'm going to go with it:

The Wilderking Trilogy meets The Lord of the Rings meets The DragonKeeper Chronicles


I agree with the Wilderking Trilogy part, as a lot of this book takes place in the trees.  There are wild people in the darkest parts of the forest.  However, Havendenara is much more creepy, in my opinion, then the Feechiefen (and a little less muddy and alligator infested).

The Lord of the Rings, in the sense that the MC, Raul, is born to become a leader, yet he is hesitant to take his place (this goes more in line with the movie Aragorn, rather than the books).  And there is an epic journey, and fights with creatures in dark, underground tunnels, and great companionship.

And The DragonKeeper Chronicles because there are bands of different races joining together.  Now, that's what Sarah said - I read the first book years ago and remember nothing.  So I'm just repeating what she said.

Stars of Darkness

Y'all may or may not have heard about this trilogy, and the summary below should explain why I don't talk about it much, lol...

Your typical horse story meets the Avengers


Yeah, I know.  That's...yeah...*crickets*  I don't have any other words to describe it.

The basic summary is: Charlotte gets her first horse at an auction, finds out the horse is specially trained for galactic warfare, and begins training with PASS (Planetary Assistance and Surveillance Services).  She joins a team of other horse-riding warriors and fights the bad guy who's trying to take over the universe.  They fight on horseback, teleporting to the rescue of other planets.  But can Charlotte become a team with her horse, who might have been sold at the auction for a reason? 

Char ne Rayft

The Ilyon Chronicles meets The Silmarillion


*cues evil genius laugh*
When I first started reading Resistance, the first thing that popped into my head was, "I feel like I'm reading Char ne Rayft."  (Hopefully this is a good thing.)  Something about Jaye's writing style and characters really reminded me of some portions of this long series of mine.  The world, the peoples, the characters, everything just has a Char ne Rayft vibe to it (at least in my opinion).
And did I mention that Char ne Rayft is a "history series" that goes along with Heritage of Kings, a series I'm co-authoring with Evangeline??  That's where The Silmarillion bit comes in.  Following the rise and fall of heroes, villains, bloodlines, hatred, and love, the series sets up some very important events that take place in the other series, Heritage of Kings, but can also be read as a stand-alone.
"Char ne Rayft.  You know what that means?  It's the Kaltish words for bird and wolf.  That's what's got the Santer riled up.  The green bird sword and the wolf arm band - the emblems of two fierce houses.  The people they stand for will never bow to the rule of the Tyrant, they will never give in, the hatred remaining in their blood, and try as they will, the Santer can never stamp that out."
I'm getting shivers down my spine just thinking about this series.  (Should be getting to those edits after I'm finished with Betrayal and Bravery and Rauladin.)
And I believe this might be the first time I've talked about this series on this blog?
Also, I tag:
Olivia
Ry

Have fun and I can't wait to see your posts!!  (And please don't kill me Evangeline, I know you're going to hate doing this!!!!)

13 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, these sound so cool! I always have so much trouble coming up with comp titles.... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I banged my head against my keyboard a couple times while preparing this post...

      Delete
  2. True Shaw tagged me for this challenge and I had the same problem you did Julian - finding similar books was HARD. It's still in the works, I hope to publish it soon....

    Hearing about all of these great stories though...wow!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Ha - I'm not the only one who suffered!!)

      I wanted to do Heritage of Kings, but there was no way I was finding something like that series...

      Delete
  3. Yay, you took my suggestion! Also, I kinda cracked up at your Stars of Darkness thingy. I liked that book a lot. The team was #epic. Though I'm kinda glad you set it aside to work on your current WIPs. Maybe some day you can revive it.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed writing Stars of Darkness. I occasionally re-read it when I'm in the mood for some humor. The Walmart sequence in the end of the second book always makes me laugh! Hopefully I can get back to that someday!

      Delete
  4. OMW SO COOL! I love all these! Your comp titles are terrific too!! I really want to read Rauladin now!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally I love Rauladin. Definitely one of my favorite books I’ve written!!

      Delete
  5. All your stories sound soooooo awesome, but if I were to choose the one that interested me most based off the comp title, it would be Stars of Dakrkness! I mean, Avengers meets typical horse story?? That's so intriguing!!! :D GIMME SOME OF THAT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, Stars of Darkness has TONS of potential. However, I wrote it a long time ago, right before starting Betrayal and Bravery, and I was just not at the level to write it. I was still learning my drafting process AND I had only seen Star Wars, and two Marvel movies, plus read some old Dune books. So I knew very little about sci-fi/spy/futuristic writing. I might be able to pull it off now, or maybe once I finish my trilogy...

      Delete
  6. Great answers! This looks like a tough tag to do. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was kind of tough...probably a good thing to do, though!

      Delete
  7. Oooh I love Forest Born! Good job with all your answers. Your books sound really interesting! We write in similar genres :) And dude COAUTHORING IS THE BEST EVER. It's so cool when you coauthor stuff, and then write stuff on your own that has parallels to it. Thanks for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete