Audiobooks - Yay or Nay?

I think it's safe to say that most of us keep track of how many books we read every year. Some of us do the Goodreads Challenge, others simply list off and maybe review these books in monthly or yearly wrap-up blog posts. Maybe we share how many books we've read with others, or maybe we keep it to ourselves.


But in any case, I'd like to pose this question: do audiobooks count to your book-reading goals?




I personally think listening to a few audiobooks is certainly fine, and can certainly be counted towards your Goodreads Challenge or other reading goals. I only end up listening to three or four throughout the year, usually while driving to and from work (I only have about a 10 minute drive).

As long as you are paying attention to the audiobook and actually listening, I think counting a lot of audiobooks is still fine. I know there are some folks who either don't have lots of sit-down time or else struggle to concentrate for more than five minutes on a print book but can stay focused while listening and doing some hands-on task (like cleaning or drawing).

If your main method for consuming literature is audiobooks while driving to work or cooking dinner, that's perfectly fine. Just make sure the audiobook doesn't become background noise and you zone out for three chapters. Just like my whole "if you speed-read the whole book and skipped whole pages and remember almost nothing about the plot afterwards, did you really read it" thing (cuz I can be soooo guilty of this). Use discernment here, y'all.

If you read audiobooks and turn the reading speed up fairly high...I have mixed emotions. At first I might be inclined to say that that's cheating, but then again, some folks can read or listen at fast speeds and still comprehend the whole thing. If you're one of those superfolks, more power to ya.

Ultimately, you do what works for you. Listen or read or do a mix of both. But if you're listening to audiobooks at twice the speed and not even actually listening half the time...maybe it's best you don't count that book. Same as if you speed-read a book and skip pages at a time...maybe don't count that one, either. Use common sense. And maybe be sure to tell people "I listened to audiobooks at double speed this year while driving to work" so they aren't in shock that you consumed over 200 books...

What do y'all think? Yay or nay to counting audiobooks? Pet peeves about reading challenges? Time to rant in the comments!

Also, what kind of reading challenges have you set for yourselves this year? I'd love to know!

8 comments:

  1. Audiobooks definitely count! And as someone who *can* process information at high speeds (and honestly finds it excruciating to listen at anything *less* than 1.25 speed)...that counts too. But it really depends on the person--don't listen fast if you're not absorbing it!

    My problem with my reading list/challenge is that I read so quickly and so many books that I worry that people will get resentful or irritated...which is why I haven't set myself a reading challenge on Goodreads, because to *challenge* myself, it would be about 500 books, and I don't want to do that to my Goodreads friends. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audiobooks take waaay longer for me than reading the book myself, so they definitely count xD And for most informational videos etc I can and must put the speed on double, but not audiobooks? Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listen to a few, I prefer reading. But I actually find them pretty good and I think they count.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only gotten into audiobooks lately while doing the dishes. I'm really picky about it based on the narrator. Last year I was listening to a really boring one which was so slow and full that I kept losing focus. Once I realized I could speed it up I started really enjoying the story and was actually engaged in it, even though I had it up to 1.8 speed (my highest might've been 2.0). Other than that I don't have it any faster on any other audiobook. I tend to slow out down more for when I'm listening in Spanish. Nice discussion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, the look is new! Like it!

    So, I wasn't sure how to think about this at first when I started getting into audiobooks. Thing is I clean a lot of houses and don't have a lot of sit down time. So ... so I gave in, using an app with our library. Another thing, I only had two weeks to listen to some of those books. And I listen to a lot of THICK books. So yeah, I would turn the speed up. 1.2 or 1.5 is what I can usually listen to comfortably. Rarely does it go higher. I turn it down to 1. speed only when the book is VERY short and I know I can finish it before it expires.

    On goodreads I always mark at the top if it was an audiobook.

    I have been finding more time to actually read now. But I still listen to a lot of audiobooks.


    MB> keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB> thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have the hardest time focusing on audiobooks. It becomes white noise for me oof. i've been trying to listen to them especially when i'm driving, but i haven't found one i can concentrate on yet :(

    But yeah audiobooks totally count!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like listening to audio books on the way to work. I really like to pay attention when I listen, otherwise it does seem like cheating a little. ;) listen

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete