Year of Shadow

 It's been a year. August 5th, 2020....


Wait, let me back up. This really started YEARS ago.


In 2008, after outgrowing the Shetland pony, I got my first horse, a Paso Fino named Cordero. He was cute, well-trained and FULL of energy. Little 12 preteen me was terrified to ride him. 


Who knew that someday I would trust this horse more than any other?


Cord was the best horse. If you wanted to lead little children around, he would walk oh so slowly and carefully. If you wanted to gait along, he could corto with the best. And if you wanted to gallop....oh, he'd be flat out running in a second.


This is a pretty decent snow (for NC). And he still is grumpy about it.


He did it all. Show ring. Barrels. Trails. Pony rides at parties. Bareback trips to the river. Stupid childhood shenigians. And all bareback with just a halter, if you wanted.


Cord passed at age 28, and I miss him every day.


The cutest face! <3


A few years passed. I downsized to just one horse...my Friesian that I've had since he was a 3 year old. "I don't need another horse," I said. "Pepper is perfect. I don't need a second one."


But, deep down inside, I missed having a Paso. I missed having something small and easy to work with (Pepper is amazing, but he's the size of an elephant). I missed that merry little gait.


So, as one does, I occasionally scour the internet for Pasos. And, at the beginning of August 2020, I found this Craigslist ad.


I mean, why not respond to it??



I called and scheduled a date to see him. When I pulled down the driveway, I saw him. He was tied to a branch, already saddled and bridled, sweating up a storm and anxiously jigging in circles around the tree.


This is where that small inner voice would say "I've heard of stories like this, they're trying to hide something, this horse looks batshit crazy, don't get on him."


Unfortunately, I do not have that small inner voice.


So I rode him. He bucked a few times as we cantered up a hill. He pranced around downed branches and over mud puddles. He tossed his head and side stepped and was a little crazy.


And then I got him on the driveway and let him fly. And y'all. I could feel the Paso Fino Smile spreading across my face. I was crying when I got off. It had been years since I'd last ridden a corto.


But I still wasn't sold on the horse. I didn't need a second one. It wasn't an "instant connection that means I have-to-have-him" deal. There was no love at first sight. Yeah, he was cute, but...he was nuts. He couldn't stand still, he wasn't a color I liked, he wasn't...perfect. I would never call myself a horse trainer, which is probably what he needs. I didn't even bring the trailer, so I would have to go home and think about it.


This was our first ride, the test ride...(hey, I did bring my helmet!)



Then I took the saddle off, and saw his ribs sticking out. I fully took in the bony hips the saddle pad had covered. The thin neck and legs weren't just a case of "I've been riding an elephant for the past year, so of course everything will look little." No, this boy was thin.


Crazy or not, I was bringing him home, and the rest could be figured out later. I came back first thing the next morning, where it took me over 30 minutes to coax him into the open stock trailer (that no horse has ever refused to load into before). But we made it home.



Shadow and Pepper meeting each other for the first time (note the poor skinny boy).


I named him Shadow.


I spent the first week feeding Shadow senior feed in the horse trailer (get weight back and fix that fear of the trailer). We started doing little rides with my local trail group, where he learned how to conquer creeks, rivers, and bushwhacking.


Our DNA tests came back, I was able to contact his breeders, learn what history I could from them, and get papers mailed. I reached out to the lady I purchased him from, and got in touch with the owner between the breeders and the seller.


His history is as follows:

-Paso Fino farm was downsizing; they sold a bunch of pregnant mares.

-Owner 1 buys a mare, she has her foal, they are left in a large pasture with minimal contact for a couple years.

-Owner 2 is told by Owner 1 that if they can catch him, they can have him. They manage to catch him, load him, and bring him home.

-Owner 2 gelds him, breaks him to ride and drive, takes him up and down their road.

-Owner 2 is killed in a driving accident.

-Owner 3 lives down the road, and eventually takes on all the animals (horses and dogs) after Owner 2's death.

-Owner 3 isn't familiar with Pasos and lists him on Craigslist.

-Owner 4 comes along. Me. :)

-I turn Shadow into a lovely trail horse and get him registered.


So it's been a year now. August 4th, I rode him. August 5th I went back and brought him home. We have done the Ride and Tie race, and an Intro Endurance race. We've gone horse camping. Ridden out by ourselves. Ridden in huge groups. He's been through tunnels and over bridges. And our latest trick...riding out with just a halter.


Shadow is everything about why I love the Paso Fino breed. They're not for everyone. (When I brought Shadow out for his first coggins, my vet gave me a look. "Now, have you ever had a Paso before," she asked, which only made me laugh.) They're smart, maybe too smart. They have brio, which can make some riders nervous. They're sensitive and gentle and maybe just a tiny bit crazy.


Shadow has that Paso Fino fire. He'll spring into a canter at the drop of the reins, and then drop into a halt with just a quiet word. He's got a fun little gait (worthy of that Paso smile). I wish I could have had him and my old Paso at the same time. No horse will ever compare to Cord, but I think Shadow will eventually be able to give him a good run for his money.


He still hates mud, though.


Shadow's first time encountering a river.

My little sister, who learned to ride on Cord, riding Shadow.


Our first Ride and Tie race.

Switching off during the race.


Group ride photo, taken on our most recent trail ride 7/31/21 (Shadow is the gray horse second to the right, Pepper my Friesian is the black beside him).


Cord, the day he came to the farm in 2008.



Crossing a bridge on the local trail system.

Dad being a cowboy with Cord.

Little me, learning to conquer fear and ride outside of the round pen.


Thanks for reaching the end of the post. Here is my little sister riding Pepper the Friesian. Because Pepper is a sweetheart and deserves some attention after having to suffer through chasing down Pasos all his life.



4 comments:

  1. I loved this post! I remember when you were first talking about buying Shadow, and I'm happy to have an update--and glad he's doing better.

    "Unfortunately, I do not have that small inner voice." <<Where animals are concerned, I don't either. XD XD

    Honestly, I'm a little jealous that you get to have all these horse-y adventures! A horse has never been in the cards in my life so far, but maybe someday...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is doing great, I'm so proud of him! And hey, maybe someday you'll get that horse all of your own!

      Delete
  2. Aw,I loved reading this post and hearing more of Shadow’s story. I’m so glad you rescued him and was able to put some weight on him! And I love his coloring! :) And I’m glad he’s doing good with riding in a halter.

    Sweet Cord, I wish I could have met him. It’s so hard to lose animals we love.

    Keep these horse-y posts coming! We should come up with a horse tag or something! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to jump on him and take him for a little spin next month! He is so much fun!

      But yes, Cord was the best horse ever.

      And ohhhhh we should create a horse tag! Send me an email and we can brainstorm!

      Delete