January Highlights

One month down, eleven more to go!  And then we can repeat all over again...and again...and again...

Really, I spent most of this month shivering indoors.  But the good news is, that means I was able to get some indoor stuff done (such as writing, cleaning, and such like).

Writing Updates

Words of Peace  //  I am so close to finishing the first draft!  My current word count is 96,849, and I suspect it will definitely get over 100K, and probably end around 110K or so.  I just have a few things to sort out, namely, the ending battle, and then giving everyone their happy (or not so happy) endings.  And it'll be done.

Songwriting  //  I had a song I wrote (it's actually sung in Words of Song, and again Words of Peace) but while I liked the tune, I personally has trouble singing it.  So I wrote a different tune that I'm able to sing, which makes me happy.

Reading Updates

The Rise of Aredor  //  I had been considering reading this book when it went on sale, so I snatched it up then and there, mostly because I like buying things at really low prices.  XD  I read it earlier in the month (on the way to my Ultra, actually) and it was everything I like in a story.  Very clean, no magic, some Scottish accents, and great characters and adventures!  I would call it a Narnia retelling, mixed with some Ivanhoe, as written by G. A. Henty.

Bound: Two Broken Souls. One Journey.  //  This was a very cute little story about two children running away from abusive homes, and going into a foster care family and coming to the Lord (bonus points for the foster parents reading the Bible every evening!!), but the story lacked a little something.  A few places were rough, and I felt as if the author was just slapping some emotions on the characters without making sure they would really be going through them.  But overall, very cute.  :)

Gospel Conversation  //  I started reading this about a week or two ago, originally under the assumption that it was about how to keep your speech as becoming the Gospel (cause I'm super awesome and didn't read anything else about the book before grabbing it).  Well, I had forgotten that "conversation" can mean not just your words, but your whole lifestyle.  So I am reading about how to keep your conduct as becoming this Gospel.  I haven't finished it yet, but when I do, I'm going to find a book on actual conversation to read.  But I am certainly getting quite convicted as to my conduct, and that is always a good thing!

General Update

I haven't been running much since my crazy 33 mile run.  Just two 4ish mile runs on the last two Saturdays.  But that's mostly because the weather is cold, and I don't like to be outside when it's cold.

I traded one of my horses for a cow and some goats.  (Yeah, I live in a super rural county, and it's awesome.)

I got a different notebook for my bullet journal.  Once I get it looking halfway decent, I'll maybe do a photo tour post on it.

I froze multiple times.  We got a fair bit of snow recently....and yes, I did go sledding in it.  But I also hid inside and drank hot chocolate on the first day.

In the Blogging World

The Order of the Pen member Ella created an author platform!  So, very excited for that!
Lila changed to a new blog.  I mean, it's beautiful.  Check it out!

Snaps joined the blogging community.  So go pop in and say hello while you're at it....

Savannah started a cool new series - flipping clichés!  The first post is about mentors.  :)

Ivie guest posted for Rebellious Writing.

Melissa posted some questions for creating fictional monarchies, which is super helpful!

Sarah did a mini series (part one and part two) on meal prep bowls, which are super cool.  (And Julian happens to like food...)

Lisa blogged about why you need to read aloud to your family, which was great!

A bunch of other posts happened, but I can't link to every single one of them, or this post would be super long and so full of amazingness it would explode into oblivion...so I just picked a few things....

Bring it on, February!!  (But no more snow, please.  I'm ready for some short-sleeve weather!)

19 comments:

  1. (Just to let you know, Snaps and Mentors link to Lila's blog.)

    Sounds like your month was productive! And a 33 mile run! Wow. That's super impressive!

    Have an awesome Feruary and thanks for the mention. <3

    ~Ivie|Ivie Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Thanks for catching that - hopefully I fixed the links!)

      It was a long, tiring run, and I still don't know if I'll do another one. But hopefully I can get more writing done in February. I'm a little disappointed in myself for not finishing this book by now.

      Delete
    2. (No problem.)

      I'm sure it was. I can't even imagine running one or two miles. XD

      Don't be disappointed. You'll get it done all in the right timing. :)

      Delete
  2. Seriously. We need spring now, thank you.

    Ah! You're almost done with your book. Those last 10,000 words... either they go by so fast or so slow. Good luck!

    And thanks for the mention. :) Snaps out. ;)

    D.G. Snapper | silverphoenixwriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they'll go by fast, as long as I can get some time in to write. And I'm working on making that time.

      Delete
  3. Couldn't agree more, I want spring to come around!!!

    You got this, Julian!! You're almost to the end!!

    Great post!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your writing accomplishments sound AMAZING!

    I need it to stop SNOWING and just kind of turn into spring. Arghhhh.....Maine in the winter gets really old, really fast. :(

    Lovely post as always! :D

    thefloridsword.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or at least some warm weather for a week or so, just so I can get some outside stuff done. Then it can snow again.

      Delete
  5. Great job on all of your accomplishments! *claps* :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Ha ha, yes. Sometimes I feel waaaaay busier; other time I feel like I spent the whole day doing nothing!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you had a lovely month! Ahh, I'm so looking forward to reading Bound. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an enjoyable read, especially because my parents were foster parents while I was growing up. So I really appreciated it.

      Delete
  8. Huzzah for a fabulous January!! :D And thanks for the mention - I totally forgot to mention Snapper's blog in my wrapup... She's one of my best friends, how could I?? xD

    Anyhoo, it's so cool that you live in a rural area - I can only dream about life like that, lol. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame on you, Lila. Shame. *shakes head*

      Living in a rural area is really nice...until you want to get some new clothes or something and half to drive half an hour just to find a place to shop at.

      Delete
  9. I almost thought you were about to say you read a bad theology book and I was like, "I didn't know that was possible for the Daventrys! They're so good at studying up on them!" But then I realized that's not what you meant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I got this one at the conference we both went to. You might have seen it somewhere in the multiple boxes we carried out to the camper...

      Just a classic case of Julian not reading the title a little more closely (or the back of the book...).

      Delete