Languages

I'm not a professional linguist.  I'm not bi-lingual.  I'm not even fluent in another language.

So how in tarnation am I supposed to write other languages for my fantasy novels??  I just don't have the time (or patience) (or ability) to sit down and create an entire new language, like Tolkien did.

I wish I could, but there's just no way that is ever happening.  So I had to create my own ways around this.

Betrayal and Bravery Trilogy

While this is a fantasy story, there is little to be found in the "other languages" field.  Two of the main Kingdoms were originally one, and so their language is the same.  The third kingdom is known for trading, so while they might have their own language, all the people there generally are multi-lingual.

Really, the only "other" language is spoken by the Telae, and they come into the book very rarely, so I didn't create a single new word.  In the few occasions where the Telae are speaking in their own language, I simply write:

Nahale leaned towards his sister, whispering a few words in their own language so low I couldn't make out a single word. 

"Perhaps you don't understand the urgency of the situation!" Rayn placed a knife on the table, his words threatening.

Ondore waved him off.  "He just had a suggestion."

"Can't he speak for himself?"

"Maybe he doesn't want to."

So you have a simple reminder that the Telae have their own tongue - while also drawing out the fact that Nahale is shy, soft-spoken, and doesn't really like Rayn (like, why??? Rayn is so kind-hearted...Nahale, shame...).

Rauladin

In this stand-alone novel, the Kinsmen speak in their own tongue.  Once again, I did not create an entire new language, even though there are many times the Kinsman speech comes into play.  Most of the time, I italicized it:

"You're talking too fast," Raul groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose.  "Gwen, please translate!"

Gwen turned to Bered.  "Why are you here?"

The Kinsman paced, his message clearer as he spoke in a more familiar tongue.  "I'm here to warn you."

Also, the Kinsmen tend to butcher the common tongue (Berend especially, lol) when they do speak it.  They mix up word orders, and when they're particularly emotional or excited, they slur everything together and their accent makes it almost unintelligible.

However, I did create a few words for the Kinsman to use - exclamations, quick questions, and the like.  Sometimes they'll throw in one while they're speaking the common tongue, either intentionally, or accidently.  Sometimes I explain what they mean (have a character ask for an explanation), or just let context give the meaning away.

Char ne Rayft // Heritage of Kings

(Both series are in the same story-world, though the first is more of a history and traces events, while the other follows main characters.)

These books have a ton of worldbuilding (and I'm very proud of it).  While most of the characters all speak the "common tongue" (to make the writing easier, lol), there is also Forest Speech, Kaltish, Old Dreman (never spoken, but used for writing purposes in the Old Days - basically an old alphabet that only scholars and a quirky prince know how to read), the ranger tongue, and two different dialects of Saoren.

I compiled a list of common words and exclamations for each language, and when writing someone who natively speaks the tongue, I'll have them slip into their mother language from time to time, just as a reminder:

The two turned away from the crowd, muttering in the rough accent of the Kalts, their tones low and secretive.  Then Branwen turned back with an apologetic smile.  "I apologize, we had a large number of squirrels to be discussed.  Na, na, I intend no disrespect!  Harin-im!"

I also included a glossary in the back of the book, in case readers want to look up a meaning of a word.  But again, I try to keep these "other" words unimportant to the plot, or at least able to be understood through context.

What do y'all think?  Do you like creating languages?  How do you get around not making up an entire new way of speaking?  Or do you go ahead and make up a whole new language anyway? cuz let's admit, it is fun!

14 comments:

  1. Yes, Tolkien is the writer we all aspire to be! But your ways of getting around the language barrier are so creative! I wish I had the patience to create a language, because I love learning them, but usually I just create a phrase that sounds cool and then translate it rather conveniently. The glossary idea is a good one.

    Cool post, Julian! I’ve never seen a post quite like this, so points for creativity! (Also, I’m new around here, so I’d you don’t recognize me, that’s why!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually created my own language when I was a young teen writer...but I've since forgotten it. :) Thanks for stopping by, Nicole! I'm glad you enjoyed my post!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I never thought of writing a language before... :D
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have the time, creating a new language would add some serious worldbuilding to your story. But I don't know how many of us have that much time - or dedication, lol!

      Delete
  3. This is amazing, Julian. I have a foreign language in my series, but at the moment it's been hard to keep up with it--my MC doesn't speak that language, but all the villains do and so I'm always having them speak the Common just so that she (and the reader) can understand what's going on xD That language is based on my knowledge of Hebrew (basically it has no vowels when I write it down xD). Super helpful post as always! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your poor MC...having to deal with people speaking in a strange language. That's always lots of fun! But basing your fantasy language off another is a great start to creating one!

      Delete
  4. Authors that make up their own languages astound me, I tried to once and failed horribly! Great post!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! I mean, I can make up a random string of words and stick it in my WIP and pretend it has a meaning...but create an entire new language complete with grammar, dialects...yikes!!

      Delete
  5. Color me impressed. I thought I had it hard--but the fact that you even THOUGHT about all these languages is very impressive. I like how you incorporate references to the languages too. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly enjoy languages, and could probably create one for my stories if I really wanted to take the time. I still think writing historical fiction is something I could never do!

      Delete
  6. wow, I never really tackled this as I don't really write fantasy. Though I admire those that do! In my sci-fi series people mostly speak with thoughts so I make that obvious by bolding and italicizing the words they think :)

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And even if you're not creating entire languages, you still have characters that speak in their own ways. There's slang, accents, phrases, etc. Like people in the South don't talk the same way as people in the North.

      Delete
  7. Ugh, languages used to be such a pain for me! But after putting to use the more subtle ways of using different languages, it's become easier. I don't have to try and make words for every single thing. Just a few more distinct things.

    Great tips, Jules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Before I started Russian, my languages were literally just "swap this word out for the English one." But then you realize that that's not how languages work...

      Delete