The Get to Know Me Tag

So my friend Rafie tagged me for this "Get to Know Me" Tag, which I've seen circling around, and kind of avoided/kind of hoped I'd get tagged.  Cause it's cool, but a little personal?  But still fun, y'know?  In any case, I'm tagged so there's no turning back now.  (Thanks, I guess...)

The Rules

link back to the person who created the tag
thank the person who tagged you
share the tag graphic
tag eleven bloggers

Vital Stats and Appearances

Name:  As you (might) know, Julian Daventry is a penname.  The first name comes from when I was preparing to write a new story, back in 2015.  I needed a name for a female character, and as I was in the car, I started scanning road signs for inspiration.  We passed a "Julian Road" so I grabbed the name.  The story eventually was pushed aside, but at the back of my mind I liked the name.

So when I needed a name for blogging, I decided to go with Julian.  (Daventry is the last name of another character in another series of mine, no special story there.)

A couple months later, I discover Julian is pretty much a guy name...but I hate to change it and create more confusion.

Nicknames: 
A number of bloggers call me Jules for short.  I've got one sister that called me Nina for a while; another sister that calls me LanaEvan sometimes calls me Fee (and for a short amount of time called me Goatherder for some odd reason).  People pronounce and spell my real name incorrectly all the time... 

Birthday:  That's none of your business.  Just know that I'm an adult.

Hair color and length:  Hehheh.  My hair does what it wants.  Some days it's super, super curly, and I can grab a head-band and pull off a hippie look.  Some days it's just wavy.  Other days it's more straight.  Sometimes it hangs limp, and other days it's ablaze with frizz.  Sometimes it's dark brown, other times a honey color...sometimes it'll even look auburn.  It all just depends on the weather, my shampoo, what my last shower was, and the lighting.

Eye color:  Hazel?  Kind of?  Brown - but sometimes green??

Braces/piercings/tattoos:  I had braces, but that was years ago.  All I have left is a metal wire behind my back teeth, which, according to Gray, makes me a cyborg.  Also have ear piercings.  I have lots or scars...but no tattoos.


Righty or lefty:  Both!!  I'm one of those ambidextrous folks.

Ethnicity:  Welsh-Slovak.  (Which might explain my love for bagpipes, and my ability to sound like a Russian native?)

Firsts

First novel written:  Well, the first book I wrote, Lady Knight, was under 50K.

If you're counting novel as over 50K well...that might be a little harder to decide...

After Lady Knight I started on a trilogy, called Freedom Fighters.  Those three books were 24,509; 14,651; and 27,524.  Certainly not novels on their own.  However I eventually decided to put them together as one book, with three parts - making it a 63,684 long novel.  But I don't know if that counts or not, since I put them together sometime afterward.

If that doesn't count, then maybe...um...The End of Time reached 80,961 before I got stuck on the final battle????  But it's still not completed.

First novel completed:  I actually finished Lady Knight.  It was a total of 16,419 words.

Again, if we're going by the "novel is 50K or more" rule, then...

(The Freedom Fighters merge???)

Words of Gold would be the ultimate, no-questions-asked, winner.  I'd finished a number of books before this one, but all just under 50K.  Then I switched my outlining technique, and finished strong, with a word count of 80,178.

Award for writing:  Haven't entered anything, actually.  I did, however, enter the poetry contest a year or two ago at our fair.  Not only did I win the (adult) category, but came home with the Judge's Overall Choice.  And a tiny bit of prize money.  That was exciting.  (Anyone interested in reading that poem?  I could always post it sometime.)

Publication:  I'm still an unpublished writer at the moment, sadly.  (I have, however, been featured in the local newspaper and in a magazine) for my bluegrass picking...)(Also been on the radio, TV, and in a movie...all because I play the banjo)(so don't let anyone tell you picking around on a banjo ain't gonna get you anywhere.)

Conference:  No writing conferences, sadly.  I was very close to going to Realm Makers this year, but I bought a horse instead. I hope to go sometime, though.  Maybe next year!

Query or pitch:  Just publish or read my books.  You won't regret it.  Or if you want more info, check out the About Me page.  :)

Favorites

Novel that you wrote:  Rauladin or Words of Peace.  I honestly can't pick.  Words of Peace is very dear to me, as it's the end of my trilogy and honestly is just so epic and amazing and thrilling and moving.  I shed so many tears while writing it.  It finishes a story I have spent hours upon hours working on.

But then Rauladin showed up as an idea while I was running a half-marathon race.  I never thought I would write a random, stand-alone novel, let alone one that would just strike so deep within me.  But something about this book is unexplainable - the friendships, the prayers, the ending, the storyworld - it's just beautiful.  I cried while writing this one, too.


Genre:  Fantasy, all the way!  Though I enjoy reading sci-fi or historical fiction from time to time (just not really my genre to write in).

Author:  *stares at bookshelf*  Oy.  Top shelves have Tolkien, Andrew Peterson, Shannon Hale, Jaye L. Knight, Tricia Mingerink, and Rosemary Sutcliff, so we'll go with that.

Writing Music:  I've complied a playlist with the top four tracks from allllll the MCU movies, in chronological order.  That's a favorite to write to as of late.

Time to write:  Right before bed.  Depending on the day, that can be ten minutes or two hours, lol

Writing snack/drink:  Since it's right before bed (as in, I'm in my PJ's, have brushed my teeth, and am sitting under the covers) I usually don't eat or drink...

Movie:  The Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended versions) will always be at the top.  So many childhood memories with those!!

Writing Memory:  So I was very little (possibly under 10), and my Dad took me to work with him.  He gave me a little yellow notepad and a pen to keep me occupied, and I made up a horse story...drawing a picture on each page and finally stapling it together.  It was kind of a "Black Beauty fanfiction" you might say...involving my favorite toy horse and her journeys as she goes from owner to over until she finds her perfect home.

Childhood book:  Fritz and the Beautiful Horses, by Jan Brett.  I was a horse-crazy youngster, and I have no regrets.

Currently

Reading:  I just finished Defy, by Tricia Mingerink.  Yeah, that one's epic!!

Writing:  I'm editing the first book in my trilogy, Words of Gold.  Fun times, yup, fun times.

Listening to:  That MCU playlist I mentioned earlier.  :)

Watching:  Just watched Spiderman: Homecoming.  Finally.  But wow that was really good!  The humor...the action...everything was really enjoyable.  Thanks to VidAngel for taking out the stuff I didn't want to see or hear!

Learning That in order for sign language to work, the person you're "speaking" to also has to know sign language...

Future

Want to be published?  Ya think????

Indie or traditional: 
I would love to go traditional, cause that's the "normal" way this stuff happens.  But I also think it would be fun to publish on my own.  Ideally, I'll do both - that way I can get a taste of both and get the full writing experience.  (And also be able to give advice for both ways.)

Wildest goal:  It'd be so cool to see my trilogy as a movie.  Just sayin.

But also, simply getting published would be fulfilling a life goal.

The Re-Tag

True, at A True Writer
Catherine, at The Rebelling Muse
Keturah at Keturah's Korner
Quinley at Adventure Awaits
Phew!  I got 8 bloggers...think that should be enough.  I think a number of folk I know have already been tagged for it?

19 comments:

  1. I'm hoping to go to RM next year, too! Meeting you would be amazing. <3

    Most of your favorite authors are my favorites too, so awesome! I still have to read Rosemary Sutcliffe, though.

    Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES please go!!! That would be awesome!! I'm really hoping I'll get to go next year - I really wanted to, but work was a mess. I was working late and a bunch of stuff happened, and we all agreed it was a good thing I wasn't gone, or else the business would be in trouble. I guess it's a good thing to be needed!

      Delete
  2. I want to go to rm, too. Where is the next one being held, anyway?

    Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I heard that the next one is in St. Louis, so I'm wondering if it might be at the same place? But I'd love to go and see you there!!!

      Delete
    2. It is going to be in the same place next year--this has been something like 90% confirmed and I'll be VERY surprised if they don't confirm it, honestly. xD

      Delete
    3. I really hope it is - one of the reasons I really wanted to go is that there's an FCC congregation in St. Louis (FCC is almost identical to my own denomination), and I would get to worship there on Sunday and see some friends.

      Delete
    4. And it's confirmed that it is! (Saw that on Instagram ;))

      Delete
  3. I SO WANT to go to Realm Makers next year. Do you know if it’s in St. Louis again?

    Also, YOU SAW SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING???? That was an AMAZING move! I literally just watched it for the first time this month, so yeah, it’s pretty fresh. I didn’t watch it on VidAngel, though, so I was stuck with all the junk (that wasn’t necessary, might I add).

    Anyways, great post! Glad to see you do the tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I heard something about it being in St. Louis, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the same place.

      I really enjoyed Homecoming, though I'm still way behind on my Marvel movies. I'm hoping VidAngel is able to filter those soon, so I can watch the ones I haven't seen yet.

      Delete
  4. I feel you on the hair thing - mine is kinda the same way.

    You're Welsh too? How neat! (I have one Welsh family line, but it's a minor one :) )

    Man, I wish I had viewed Spiderman through VidAngel - I really didn't need the "references" they made. *sigh*

    GOSH - this is the 4th time I've been tagged for this thing!!!! (ya know, something tells me I need to get MOVING on this thing.....) Thank you for that reminder!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...GO AND DO THE TAG!!! It was nice not having to hear or see anything I'd rather not. VidAngel lets you select what to filter out, so that's really great.

      Delete
  5. I've actually already been tagged and was working on my post the other day ;)

    I had no idea you use a pen name. So funny :) Yes, I'd love to see your poem! haha, that's so neat you chose to buy a horse over the conference ;)

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it’s a pen name! I’m hoping that this is the last horse for quite a while...I don’t need any more! So hopefully I’ll be able to go to RM next year! I really want to go!

      I’ll have to get a post ready for the poem then!

      Delete
  6. Julian sounds like a pretty gender neutral name to me!^_^

    OH, AND YES, YOU ARE TOTALLY A CYBORG!!! XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES OF COURSE WE WANT TO SEE YOUR POEM!!!

    I grew up with the extended addition, so I never knew how lucky I was until I watched it with a friend and was like, "Hey. Where's the rest of it?"

    *gasp* I love Fitz and the Beautiful Horses! The illustrations are so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a neat tag!! I have it along with a million other tags I need to catch up with. XD I enjoyed learning more about you so much!! <3

    Danielle | silverphoenixwriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tag! I'll have to get to work on it once my blogging schedule clears up a bit.

    ReplyDelete