The Shining Stallion - A Poem

Well, as I mentioned before, I've won a poetry contest.  Yes, it was just at the fair, but there were a ton of other entries, so I'm quite proud of it.

I can't remember where the idea (or inspiration) for this poem came from, but here it is:



The moon shines onto his glimmering hide
while he stands by the road on the far way side.
Watching the house where the lights have gone dead,
as he pricks velvet ears on his small black head.
 
Then he lowers his nose and picks his way
across the field shining with newly-cut hay;
His dark, graceful hooves not making a sound,
or even a print on the hard, frosty ground.
 
With breath making clouds in the cold night air,
he fixes the house with a keen, longing stare.
Hearing a noise he looks up at the sky
for he well knows that there are humans nearby.
 
Lying in bed in her small little room,
sleeps The Girl, with a sad face lit by the moon.
Gleaming-wet tears track the lines down her cheeks
but still on through the terrible dream she sleeps.
 
She knows her hard lessons, and her dark woes.
She knows when to help, and when to let one go.
Chasing through dreams run a black horse's screams.
For she cannot be selfish; all this she deems.
 
A tap on the pane, a gentle nicker,
rouses with a start the shivering sleeper.
She glances outside; he paws at the moon.
The sun is coming and he must leave her soon.
 
Morning is here, with a sunny blue dawn
The Girl runs outside and out onto the lawn.
She strains her small ears and hears a goodbye:
A wild and free shining stallion's cry.
 
I didn't win any fancy awards, just some ribbons (and bragging rights, lol).  I think I was under 18 at the time, so I believe the age group I was in (and placed first) did not go against adults, but the judge's choice award did go against the adults and I did win that one as well.

(Also, the horse in the picture is my Frieisan, Pepper.  He's actually a gelding, but I thought I would use him for my title picture anyway, since I don't have any actual stallions...)

So there you have it!!  I have some writing advice themed posts coming up, as well as the epic Shared WIP Tag in November.  So be sure to keep your eyes open for those!

9 comments: