Balancing Your TBR

We need to balance out our TBR, and I'm not talking about stacking all the books into a jenga tower.  (Though I do currently have my TBR stacked on a shelf in my closet, as I ran out of room on my bookshelf.)

We need to balance the genres we read.  We need to read new things, different things, books that help us, books just for fun.  We need to read a variety of books, a variety of genres.





Why We Should Read Newly Published Books

Being a writer myself, I whole-heartedly agree with supporting new authors, especially the self-published ones.  We should read their books and recommend them to everyone.  With all the trash that is getting put out there, when we find some new clean literature, we should encourage the author to write /more/ clean books.  New books often easier to read, with the language of the current times, and the messages may often be very relateable and applicable.

But if the only books we read are the new ones, the ones with the shiny covers, the ones that everyone is reading, we have a problem.

Why We Should Read Older and "Classic" Books

Yes, classics are often dull and boring, with characters that talk weird and waaaaaay too much description.  Even Tolkien, as much as we love his works, can sometimes be a bit of a pain to read.  Having been forced to read some bland, boring books for school, thinking about older books, classic books, brings up unpleasant memories.

But we all have our favorite classics (Jane Eyre, A Tale of Two Cities, The Scarlet Pimpernel), so we know that not all classics or older books are dull and boring as we remember.
Just because the cover is plain (or even horrid), just because the author is long dead, just because the writing is difficult, doesn't mean we should give up reading them.  We should add some old books to our TBR.

Why We Should Read Hard Books

If you breeze through a 500-page fantasy novel, but put off and struggle through an instructive spiritual book, what does that say about you?

Reading books on the things of God, on theology, on our walk with God, is harder.  I understand this completely.  It takes a more brain power.  We need to focus on the meaning, on understanding it, while reading.

When I first tried to read Charity and Its Fruits (by Jonathan Edwards), I couldn't finish it.  I couldn't keep my mind focused on it and eventually I gave up.  But then I came back to it.  I read it while walking laps around the back yard.  I sat in the barn and read it aloud to the horses.  And by the end of the book, I was able to sit on the couch and just read it and focus on it for longer periods of time.  But I had to train myself.



We need to make sure we are reading books that are edifying, that encourage us in our daily walk with God, that teach us about Him.




Why We Should Read Unknown Books


Usually, when we are looking for something new to read, we pick something that everyone is going on about.  If so many people have read a book and liked it, it's got to be good, right?  (Think The Wingfeather Saga, The Lunar Chronicles, Fawkes.)  The author's blog is really nice, the cover looks amazing, and the plot sounds really interesting.

But when someone recommends a book that you've never heard of before, and you see the cover is kind of bland, the author lived about 80 years ago, and no one else has ever heard of it, you usually just pass it up, right?  And I understand.  100%  Why risk wasting your time and money?

But sometimes those little ol' books that seem fair to middlin' can surprise you.

Like The Great and Terrible Quest.  This tiny book sat on the shelf in our home-library for ages before I finally decided to flip it open and give it a try (after all, it was small, insignificant, and sounded like a kids book).  Long story short, I fell in love, read it every year, and would proudly recommend it to anyone.




Why We Should Read Different Genres

Let's be honest-we all have our comfort genre.  Mine is fantasy.  Growing up watching and reading The Lord of the Rings has given me a love for books with long journeys on horseback, epic swords, muddy cloaks, maybe an elf or two, and beautiful dresses.  I hear about a good fantasy novel/series and I'm instantly looking it up.
Someone tells me about a very good contemporary novel?  50% chance I'm not even going to look it up.  75% chance I'm not going to even remember the title.


Some of y'all might have read my post about We Need to Read.  And one of the reasons we read is to grow.  If we're reading nothing but the same genre over and over, we're eventually going to stop learning and growing as much.  Like playing video games-yeah, it helps your hand-eye coordination and your problem solving skills, but eventually you have to admit that you're slightly addicted to it, and why not play some Sudoku and learn some different problem solving skills.


 The Benefits of Balancing Your TBR

Balancing helps us enjoy our books more.  I read Disassociate right after finishing the Out of Time trilogy, and I'm going to be honest-Parvin and co. really made Celeste and Mick look dull and boring, and I struggled with getting through the first book.  It just wasn't as fascinating as reading about Parvin, and I kept comparing the two.  I read the second book sometime later and I enjoyed it much more and found that Celeste and everyone weren't as bad as I thought.

We are (some of us) adults and yes, we can still read our favorite little heart-warming books.  Just because we're no longer in school and now spend our days working or in college doesn't mean we can't read that horse book that we always loved.  But we need to read more than that, and because we're older, we need to read adult books.  I mean serious books, like a devotional book or a how-to book.


Two of my favorite reads from 2018


We need to read, not just for recreation, but to learn and grow.
Don't be afraid to look into the insignificant reads.  Some of my favorite reads of 2018 were books that I was only reading to "balance out" the genres-a biography (which I have recommended to tons of people), a dystopian (the Out of Time trilogy), and a spiritual (I just wanted a short read for a Sunday afternoon).

Old and uncommon books are cheaper.  I love shopping at used book stores.  In fact, I probably only go into a Barnes and Noble once or twice a year.  But I'll come out of a used book store with a stack of new books to read.  And usually without doing serious harm to a twenty dollar bill.  Antique stores, thrift stores, yard sales, library sales...all good places to find good books for a few dollars.

I hope I've convinced you to try a few different books this year.  Let me know how it goes!

24 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for posting this! One of my goals this summer is to tackle those BIG Russian Novels (War & Peace, Anna Karenina, Crime & Punishment) and on my shelf I have several Dicken's that I have to read and yeah, so I've got the Classics cover xD But for newer books I'm usually a LOT more cautious, because you can pick up just about anything, but I'm getting better haha. Again, great post!

    ~Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read both W&P and AK and enjoyed them. I've only seen a black and white Russian film of C&P, though. But I DID just buy a copy of the book - would you be interested in a shared reading/buddy read/whatever it's called? We can both read Crime and Punishment at the same time or whatever... That's usually motivating to pick something up and read it!

      Delete
    2. And need I mention that there's a great group that is rebelling against the crap in YA and that we do book reviews on some of the newer books? So if you're looking for newer book suggestions, check out Rebellious Writing!

      I do not get any compensation for this sales pitch, by the way. But tips are always accepted.

      Delete
  2. So agree with all of this! I need to make more time for balancing. I really love nonfiction, but it /is/ more time consuming and forces me to concentrate more. But I do this with audio books, for sure! Some of everything ;)

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to listen to "fun" stuff on audio, honestly. And actually, usually with my family. On my own, I like to read instead of listen. Goes faster. :)

      Delete
  3. Hello Julian!
    Just wanted to tell you that recently the Meng household has been reading through "Charity and its Fruits" in the mornings!
    I must confess however, that for novel type writings, I read almost exclusively the works of Sir Walter Scott and Charles Dickens. Both are at times, VERY boring! Yet, everything else I've read seems like a children's book. I fear my writing will only ever be one or the other. Is there anything you would recommend to get a good medium?
    Thanks!
    with a paw shake from Josey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Emily! I really enjoyed Charity and it's Fruits, and I've even been considering re-reading it lately! Dickens can be a tad dull, but I do enjoy reading his works anyway!

      As to advice, I would ask you what kind of book would you like to write? And then once you know that, read a bunch of books in that genre/age range. For example, if you wanted to write about a girl traveling across America in a wagon train, and the book would be geared to 12 year olds, look up a bunch of books with those topics: fiction, history books, etc. If you know what you kind of want to write (or read), I'd be happy to recommend books I know that you might enjoy.

      Give Josey a hug for me!! <3

      Delete
    2. Hey Julian! I would say my dream is to write stories that dive really deep into the characters' (especially the main's) personalities, expressing there motives, fears, triggers, and hot topics. And because the reader will be able to relate to the main character, that would extend the age range a lot.

      However, I'm not sure how to hunt up a good quantity of those sorts of books 1) because there seem to be but precious few 2) because even though a book's plot may be reported as incredibly gripping, the characters to often turn out being about as interesting as a baking powder label making there fate or glory a matter of mere fact. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little!
      But if you have any recommendations I would be more than grateful! Thank you so much!
      with a paw shake from Josey (she says thanks for the hug!)

      Delete
  4. Amen! I’ve been trying to vary what I read this year, and so far it’s going . . . decent? *shrugs* it’s only two months into the year, and I haven’t had much time to read, so it’s a little hard to tell so far. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two...wait *glances at calendar*...almost three months...isn't that long. You've still got time to throw in a few books out of the ordinary genres. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, this is a great post! I always used to hate hard books, especially nonfiction. I could never concentrate, but like you said, you have to train! Now whenever I read those I learn a lot instead of being bored and skipping most of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's sad when we call ourselves readers, but we still don't have the ability to really sit and read when the subjects are hard. But it does take work, and once you learn how to concentrate, it's great!!

      Delete
  6. Oh yay! This post is up!! I really enjoyed our discussion about it!

    But yes, balancing our TBRs is so important. And it really helps us to be able to read, no matter what. Even if we're not in the mood for one thing, there's usually something else that we're willing to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to schedule it a bit later, but finally made it. :) I glad you didn't mind my rant/complaint/brainstorm email thread...

      Delete
  7. Such an amazing and important post, thank you! <33

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post! Like practically every area of life, balance really is key. I try and move between different genres, fiction and non fiction, short and long as I read. It makes me appreciate each book more if it's distinguishable from the one before! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After bouncing this post idea off Sarah, that was kind of our general conclusion, too. Balance is key. :)

      Delete
  9. I am always trying to read New and old books. Also books by other blogger. I love to find books that are not well known and enjoy them. I do need to read some devotionals I have a hard time reading nonfiction.

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nonfiction, I think, is very important, especially as Christians. We should always be trying to learn more about God and to have a deeper relationship with Him.

      Delete
  10. LOVE this!! Totally agree with you on everything 1000%. I very much disliked having to read those dry & dusty classics during my schooling years---they were SO boring. But now that I pick them up in my own time, I actually want to, AND I actually enjoy them. :] Love all the ones you mentioned! Jane Eyre and The Scarlet Pimpernell are faves! And I LOVE The Wingfeather Saga!!! I admire Tolkien & his works a great deal---they are so inspiring, but I do agree with you in that they can be rather difficult to read (currently reading The Silmarillion, which I started last year...and um, have had trouble getting back into it... *sigh* But I want to! And I WILL finish it. Someday...).

    Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first read The Silmarillion, it took me a couple months to get through the first half. Then I started enjoying it and basically read the last half in one afternoon! So just keep going with it!

      Delete
  11. Hi!!

    I should probably introduce myself; I am a fellow Christian young writer who is absolutely in love with horses!!!!

    I've been reading your blog for a while now, but my mom just recently gave me permission to begin commenting on blogs, and WOW, I must say that you have some quality content coming up on here!!!

    This post is especially true!!! My mom has always encouraged me to read basically every genre of book there is out there (if it's appropriate, of course), and I am so glad she has!! I've benefited immensely, plus I've found I can enjoy books, regardless of genre, because I've been encouraged not to be biased.

    Anyway, yes, you did an amazing job with this!!!!

    I look forward to more of your posts!!!!

    ~ God bless you ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Boots! Thanks for commenting (and reading)! Having parents that encourage reading is such a great blessing!

      Delete