Know the Novel - Ships, Secrets, and Survivors

Hello...just jumping in for Christine's Know the Novel linkup! Hope you enjoy this little sneak peak into my NaNo Novel (and the subject of the Shared WIP Tag coming up in November).



What first sparked the idea for this novel?

Well, it kinda started back in...maybe 2010, I think? Maybe '11. But back when I was writing most of my WIPs in notebooks. And basically, I watched the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie for the first time. And tried to write a pirate story. And failed.

Then fast-forward to the end of '18 (or maybe the beginning of '19), where Sarah and I are thinking of doing a story together. She pulls out her fave thing to write (about people having to work as a team) and I pull out my pirate story.

And we shoved it all together.


Share a blurb!

I'm gonna make y'all wait a little longer...it's coming for the Shared WIP Tag!

Where does the story take place? What are some of your favorite aspects about the setting?

It takes place in a made-up fantasy world. It has kind of a French Revolution feel, with some scary ocean creatures and pirates and stuff thrown in.

I love how it's not a typical "medieval setting" fantasy story. :)

Tell us about your protagonist(s).

The main characters are Ralivaen del Mankayl and Adima Radi Kashinda.

Ravin is a sailor who would prefer just to be ignored and live his life on the ship and never set foot on land again. But his name is called as one of the selectees for the Scaera Dumeda, and he's planning to put about as little effort into this as possible...

Adi is a princess, who would rather be out fighting and helping people, instead of living a pampered life. So she is thrilled when she's selected and this long-awaited chance arrives. She's not going to mess this up.

Who (or what) is the antagonist?

The main villain is Captain Rev Martin, one of the most feared pirates, who happens to have a grudge against some of our main characters...

What excites you the most about this novel?

-Writing something with Sarah
-Evan is doing cool illustrations for it
-Pirates
-The characters
-Sea creatures
-The Scaera Dumeda

Is this going to be a series? standalone? something else?

For the moment, it's just a standalone novel. I suppose it could continue, but I think in a sense, stories could "always" continue. It just depends on if the author is willing to dig into the story world and see what happens next or if it should be left for the readers to uncover in fanfiction.

Are you plotting? pantsing? plansting?

Sarah and I did some vague plotting back when we started it. Basically covered the first third of the book, and we figured we'd find out what happened next once we got past bringing everyone together.

And that's where I'm going to pick up the book for NaNo. *cracks knuckles* Good thing I'm a pantster.

Name a few things that makes this story unique.

Um...something cool that I don't wanna give away. Plus, the aspect of the Scaera Dumeda is kinda cool. And really, I think it's just a neat little story with lots of neat little aspects.

Share a fun “extra” of the story.

For your enjoyment...the first page of the hand-written original, from long, long ago. Plus two character sheets from characters that have made the cut from the old version to this new NaNo ones!





I'll be back Friday to kick off the Shared WIP Tag!!

5 comments:

  1. I am really interested in pirates, too, so this sounds really awesome. I can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'll be posting about it all through November. :)

      Delete
  2. PIRATES. PEOPLE LEARNING TO WORK AS A TEAM. Literally two of my favorite things as well! AAAHHHHH! This sounds so fun!!!

    I think it's awesome you and Sarah came up with this together. And I LOVE that you still have your very first written draft of it. That's so special!

    This sounds like it's going to be ridiculously fun! :D Thank you so much for joining the linkup and sharing. Happy writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far...yes...it's been fun. We'll see how I feel come the end of November, lol

      Delete
  3. It has pirates!!!
    This sounds awesome, I love that all three of you are working on it.
    Can't wait to see the illustrations. It's going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete