6 Movie Recs

Are you looking for some new movies to check out over the holidays? Tired of watching the same old films? Looking for something out of the ordinary? Look no further! I have a quick list of same favorite (clean) movies for y'all to check out this winter.

Get a hot drink and some blankets and check out these movies. :)

Black Lightning

This is a Russian movie, but fear not - for those of you who don't speak Russian, you can get it with English subtitles! (Don't get it dubbed, never ever do that, to any movie.) And it's rentable on Amazon.

Black Lightning is a beautiful story about a poor boy who wants to become rich so he can drive a nice car and impress the girls. His father gives him an old, clunky car for his birthday, and he's so embarrassed by it that he doesn't even drive it to school. But then he finds out the car can fly. And the rest is history.

This movie is one of my favorites. Ever. It's a superhero movie, is clean, and also extremely funny. The special effects don't look corny, and the plot is well written. Please, if you try any movies from this post, try this one.


Based off the historical fiction book The Eagle of the Ninth, this movie has flaws (weird costumes, not close to the book, not even historically accurate) but if you just take it for what it is (a fun adventure story), it's really enjoyable.

My brother loves it because there's zero kissing/romance involved, haha. My sister loves it because it's different than your usual movie. I love it because the music is amazing.

It's a little gritty and dark. But no language or "skippy" scenes. :)


So this is based off a kids series (which was made into a cartoon series), but I didn't find that out until a few years ago? But this has been a favorite horse movie of mine since I was little.

Pros: Fun story plot, beautiful horses, aussie accents, amazing soundtrack, ghost stories and chills at the end, different from your normal horse movie.

Cons: If you don't like horses, you'll find this boring...


This is kind of old, so maybe everyone's already seen it and we just don't talk about it? But it's hilarious. Hysterical.

Basically, it tells the story of Red Riding Hood in such a brilliant way...interviewing all the characters and piecing together what really happened. You'll never look at the fairy tale the same way again.

(Apparently there's a sequel movie? That was not very good? I haven't seen it - can anyone tell me if it was worth watching?)

Only Old Men Are Going to Battle

Yes, another Russian movie. Not that I'm sorry. And there are more I could recommend, but I'll just stick to two for today.

I came downstairs one night to find my Dad watching this. I sat in for the last half and enjoyed it; then I watched the whole thing again later and loved it more. It inspired a bit of my trilogy, actually.

But it's clean, despite being a war movie. It follows a group of fighter pilots, and is thoughtful., really interesting, and presents such an interesting aspect of war. Basically, only old men (the most experienced) are sent into battle, but as time goes on, those get killed off, so the more and more younger men are sent out. Until young boys are going up because they're the most experienced over the newbies.

You can watch it for free on YouTube here. Good news: includes English subtitles. :D

The Court Jester

This movie is a classic with our family. Even after all these years, we are still laughing hysterically every time we see it.

A ex-circus entertainer pretends to be a jester while smuggling the real king back onto the throne, and gets involved in all sorts of trouble...

All I can say is just watch it, okay? It's great. 

Let me know if you've seen any of these, or if you watch them. I'd love to chat!!

12 comments:

  1. I love movie recommendations! And I also really appreciate how these are all clean. Of all of these I've only heard of The Court Jester. I saw part of it once and loved it (Danny Kaye is the best!!!) but haven't been able to see the rest! I'm looking forward to all of these, especially those foreign language films (and you are right, never watch them dubbed!). Thanks, Julian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danny Kaye is hilarious - we've seen a number of his movies and they're pretty funny. But I've seen quite a lot of Russian movies, and some of the old black and white ones are quite good. :)

      Delete
  2. Okay, I haven’t seen any of these, and I’m wondering why because these sound really good! Especially Hoodwinked - Little Red Riding Hood retellings are so interesting. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the Court Jester! Such fond memories of watching that with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have won over a number of people to that movie...

      Delete
  4. The Hoodwinked sequel was literally the worst thing ever.. i didn't like it. But i'm definitely gonna check out some of these other movies!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've been kinda scared to watch it, tbh. Let me know if you watch any of these!! We can fangirl. <3

      Delete
  5. I've heard of Hoodwinked but not the others, they sound interesting. ;)

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoodwinked is fantastic and always makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete