August Highlights

Wow.  Just wowowow.  This month has gone by so fast!!  I think I blinked a few times...

Writing

Well, I spent the first half of the month re-outlining Words of Gold.  After talking with Sarah, Bard, and Pup, I decided to change a number of things, and that eventually went on to differences in the next two books... *grabs fistfuls of hair* ...but these things needed to be done, and they'll make everything better, so why should I complain about the work?

After getting that fixed up, I did another go-around on the first three chapters of Words of Gold.  I'm polishing those babies up until they're all just how I want them!

Blogging

Obviously, I've been changing the look of this place...and I also finished the first five parts to my series on finishing a first draft!

Part 1: Problems
Part 2: Time
Part 3: Distractions
Part 5: Boredom

And elsewhere in the blogging world...

Sarah talked about Editing a First Ever Novel
Grey posted some tips about Making an Unforgettable Villain
Melissa gave some great questions for Creating Fictional Histories.
Ivie finished up her Politcal and Social Series.
Hannah talked about making Scenes Emotionally Gripping.

These guys are great; seriously, go check them out!  Other people wrote other amazing things, but these are the things that I really found helpful to myself at the moment.

Life

Sarah, Evangeline and I all went to a church conference at the beginning of the month, which was lots of fun!  We spent a lot of down time working on our outlines and just helping each other work out some story issues. 

I also uploaded a song to SoundCloud.  Sarah wrote it as a sort of "end credit" song for her trilogy, and as a surprise, I put it to music, recorded a guitar track, and got a fellow member of Order of the Pen to sing it.  Then we surprised Sarah with it.  The results were worth it all!

On the farm, we did some pasture maintenance, and got the back (and largest) pasture all trimmed up and in good shape.  I also got some good, long rides in with the horses, and then also went to VA for an long-distance event with Sarah.  Came in second place, which was awesome!!

This was taken very early in the morning, so it's very foggy out and the quality isn't that great.
Riding through the rangelands (cow pastures) of VA.
Plans

So what am I doing in September?  Celebrating Sarah's birthday with her.  Training for another horse race.  Beating to death and burning alive these first couple chapters of Words of Gold.  And trying to get a lot of reading done, because I did hardly any of that over the first half of the year.

So what are y'all up to?  Did you have a good August, or did it fly by as if on the wings of teleporting Eagles?

13 comments:

  1. Your blog looks great!
    And thank you for the mention. I'm glad my series meant something to you! <3
    Sounds like the month was great. Have a wonderful September! <3 :D
    ~Ivie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed your series!! And have a great September yourself! Enjoy the cooler weather, and stray dry!

      Delete
    2. Thank you. Sunshine for me right now, which is good. Unfortunately, Texas doesn't get cool yet, but there are some signs it might cool off early. *crosses fingers* <3 Same to you. :D

      Delete
  2. The months always go by in such a blur! I'm glad you had fun this month!!

    And thank you for mentioning my post! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I found your post really motivating, especially because I need to work on my villains...

      Delete
  3. Aw thanks for linking to my post! I really appreciate it. <3 Sounds like you had a good month; hopefully September is even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it'll be a good month. :) Your post was just what I needed!! (Guess I know what sort of worldbuilding I'll be doing this September...)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had a fun month! And I adore your new blog look XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm liking the look as well, and hopefully it'll stick around for a while.

      Delete
  5. Mine flew by (but you probably already knew that). But it was a good month. Time to greet September!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *burns alive my first draft with you* *brings marshmallows*

    I love the font in your new header, Julian! And congratulations on coming second place - what kind of event was it?
    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a rather crazy sport (Ride and Tie): you take turns running and riding a horse with your race partner. The horse runs faster, so after a while, the rider ties the horse to a tree and starts running. The other person catches up to the horse, gets on, gallops past the other runner/rider, and so they take turns until everyone is across the finish line. Lots of fun!

      Delete