First Drafting, Part 9: Depression

It happens to all of us.  Things are going well, our story is progressing, and then the depression hits.

What if this story isn't as great as I think it is?

What if no one likes it?

What if the publishers don't want it?

What if I self-publish and get nasty reviews?

What if I never finish and publish at all?

Some people might have more "what if" worries than others.  But even chipper, more optimistic writers like myself can get moments of doubt.

What about when you're writing and the story no longer holds excitement for you.  It's not that you suddenly get a better idea...you just don't feel like writing this story at the moment.

Reading a book sounds more fun right now.
Playing a game with your family sounds more fun right now.
Come to think of it, cleaning the bathroom sounds more run than writing that story.

This happens to others as well.

But obviously, there is a way to get past this, if there are published stories.  So what do you do when scrubbing the toilet is more appealing than writing?

Because you might think things are gloomy, but there's always a rainbow waiting to shine.
Or some kind of similar motivational whatever...

 Remind Yourself Why You Write

Sometimes this is just as simple as re-read a favorite portion of your story.  I like to read all the scenes with Tach, because he simply is hilarious.  Or maybe all the parts when the Captain is...the Captain...*tries not to give away too much because of spoilers*  Or any scene from a music-making, because that is something that is special to me.  Usually, just a quick read of said scenes is enough for me to remember that yes, I do love this story, and it is important to me, and I want to finish it.

I save all the encouragement I receive about my stories, either by moving the email to a specific folder, or jotting down the conversation in a note.  That way I can remind myself that there are others who think it's great that I'm writing, that there are others who want to read my story and help me make corrections to it.

Maybe even sitting back and listening to that writing playlist can help.  If you have a movie score or a collection of songs that help you get the setting for your story, immersing yourself in the music can get you wanting to write again.

Reading a good book also gets me in the writing mood (I wanna write something this great, too!).  However, I have a friend who gets more depressed after reading a good book (How will I ever write something this good?).  Cause people are different.

Because I know these things encourage me, I am prepared to use them when needed.  Closely examine yourself and gather a list of things that inspire you to keep writing, and get ready to shoot them at any foes of depression and doubt that try to capture you.

Throw Your Fears to the Wind

Yes, there will be people who don't like your story.  Seems like every book out there has at least one bad review.  But why let that stop you?  There are people out there who will like your story.  There may be someone who will enjoy your story and put it on the shelf with their favorite books.

So don't worry about them.  Sit up straighter and keep writing.

And remember - there are many authors out there who are popular and yet had their stories rejected by publishing houses.  I'm sure you've heard of them, so I won't bother with names here.  But it happens.  Just because your first couple pitches go sour or first review is bad doesn't mean your story is worthless.

There will be people who hate your book, yes.  But there will also be those who love it, and I want you to write for them.

Does anyone else worry about what others will say?  How do you push through negative comments and thoughts in regards to your writing?

11 comments:

  1. Great post! Just what we all need to hear sometimes. It can be discouraging when we feel like we don't want to write that story, but there's plenty of ways to jump back in.

    ~Ivie
    iviewrites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Don't get depressed! Just do your best and keep writing!

      Delete
  2. I've struggled with this in the past, I love how you tackle it in this post. Great job! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. The doubts... oh how they haunt even the most staunch of writers. Great pointers, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even myself, one of the most stupidly optimistic people ever, can get discouraged. But we can't let that stop us!

      Delete
  4. I love this. Thank you! Especially for the "anything sounds better than this!" part. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yup! Sometimes I will do the craziest things to get out of writing, especially when I don't think writing is the greatest thing at the moment...

      Delete