30+ Miles of the Most Boring Forest in the World

Also known as, Julian Daventry runs her first Ultra Marathon.


What is an Ultra Marathon?  Usually it is a 31 mile race, though technically any race with a distance over that of a marathon (26.2 miles) is a Ultra Marathon.  Most Ultra's, however, are 31 miles, also known as a 50K (what you most often see on bumper stickers).

How did my race go?  Well....

6:30 AM
Almost time to leave the hotel for the race.  Just need to fill up my water pack.  My mother says not to worry, there will be water at the start.  Let's hurry and get in the car.

6:45 AM
Me, my Dad, my brother, and a running friend are all dropped off at parking lot where the start/finish line is.  My mom waves and drives off, and I barely have time to throw my coat in the van.  I thought she was going to stick around and watch us start - I'm still carrying a few things in my pack that I was going to give her later...

6:50 AM
There is no water at the start.  I forgot the pins for my race bib.  It's below freezing.  I don't even know what time the race starts, or what the course will be like because I've forgotten to read the race emails where that info is given...

6:55 AM
My Dad calls me over to a large group of runners.  "Are you ready to run this?" he asks.
"Oh yeah..." I say.
"We're starting in five minutes."
*record screech*
*frantically turns watch on so it can get my location before I start running*

7:00 AM
Everyone takes off running down a dirt road, and I attempt to breathe evenly and not panic.  I just started my first Ultra Marathon.  I don't have any water.

And then it's time to count the miles....

MILE 1

MILE 2

Starting to warm up.
I can do this.
Right?

MILE 3


MILE 4

The hot chicken broth my Dad has in his thermos and kindly shares with me is utterly amazing.
Warmed up, and running on down the trail.
This isn't so bad.
I can do this!

MILE 5


MILE 6

First aid station.
Fill previously empty water bottle.
Eat frozen potatoes, bacon, gummy bears, and pretzels.
They are actually pretty good.

MILE 7

Okay, some hills.
Hills are okay.
Just walk up, and then keep running.

MILE 8

The hills have not gone away.
They have gotten worse.

MILE 9

I did not sign up for these hills.

MILE 10


MILE 11

Hey - a lake!
Finally, something different to look at.
These trees are getting a little tedious.
As well as the hills.

MILE 12

Next aid station.
Food is still frozen.
Frozen food is still good.

MILE 13

The hills are gone.
The trees are back.
Something green would be nice, or at least something that's not a brown tree, stick, leaf, or dirt.

MILE 14

Almost hallway.
Getting tired.
But still going.

MILE 15

Me: So this is the Ultra Experience.
Dad:  We're only halfway.  It's gonna get worse.

MILE 16


MILE 18

My knee hurts.
My feet hurt.
My back hurts.
But never all at once.
They take turns, like the nice aches and pains they are

MILE 19

This is the farthest I've ever run. 
Every step is a new personal record.
I hate this forest.

MILE 20



MILE 21

I don't want to see a tree again.
What I want to see is a place why I can buy a new set of legs.

MILE 22

I can't believe I'm still in this forest.
I can't believe I've still on my feet.
I can't believe my feet are still attacked to my ankles.

MILE 23

Run.
Walk.
Drink.
Run.
Walk.
Snack.
Repeat.

MILE 24


MILE 25

Everything hurts. I've been running and running and I'm not getting anywhere.

MILE 26

 Well, I have officially done a marathon.  So if I miss the cutoff time or end up having to stop because of injuries or something, I can at least say I'm a marathon runner.

MILE 27


MILE 28

Should be getting close to the finish. 
Races normally are slightly shorter than the announced distance.
Right?

MILE 29

So very...very....close....
Walking a lot.
Like.
A lot.

MILE 30


MILE 31

Technically I have reached an Ultra Marathon now.
Where is the finish line?
Can I stop now and legally finish the race?

MILE 32

I did not sign up for this extra distance.
Do I get a refund?
Or at least a new pair of feet?
Or a knee replacement?

MILE 32.50


I crossed the finish line with a watch showing 32.50 miles.
I cried as I crossed the finish line.
I was still able to run across the finish line.

Disclaimer: I say I ran 33 miles because my watch is notorious for giving me a much shorter distance than everyone else (like an 18 mile race I ran ended up being 15...that's how bad it is...).  So I'm adding a bit it didn't catch and saying I ran 33.

For the record, I am not getting a knee replacement.  My knee is fine.  A bit sore, but fine.  :)

22 comments:

  1. Whoa, Julian! You’re nuts! You’re insane! You’re a machine! You’re amazing!

    I can’t even run ONE mile so the fact that you did this is O_O. I’m glad you came out of it okay, and I hope you aren’t too scarred! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! Everything is fine! My knees still hurt a bit when I've been sitting for a while and go to stand. But other than that, I feel great!

      Still not sure if I'm going to do another one, tho...

      Delete
  2. Excellent job! I'm proud of you! Also, do not ask me to join you if you ever do another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I won't. We can just do the 18 miler again or something.

      Delete
  3. Woo-hoo! Good job, JD! I'm so happy for you! Also, kudos for your first ultra being longer than it's supposed to be (I had to run an extra half mile to reach 31 after I crossed the finish line of my first ultra). UGH.

    Such funny GIFs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I do another one, we should totally run it together!!

      Delete
  4. Woah! Way to go! :D Sounds like a wonderfully painful time. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, girl, that is one crazy race you ran. I didn't even know there was such a thing as an ultra marathon (didn't think it went above the 26...)

    Anyway, congrats girl! I loved the humor in this post!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eh, trust me, they go waaaaay over 26 miles. XD Some of the folks in our running group just did a 240 race. Like, you sleep on the ground and run and stuff...took them 70 hours. I don't think I'll be doing anything like that!

    But I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. My. Gosh. I could never run an Ultra Marathon.. but A MILLION THOUSAND CONGRATULATIONS THAT YOU DID IT!!! WOWZERS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rather surprised that I did it. My family started doing them and I was like "nah, that's crazy!"

      And then I did one too, just so I wouldn't be left out. XD

      Delete
  8. Great job, although this sounded awful! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awful...but somehow fun...but really deep down, it was awful.

      So why do I want to do another one??

      Delete
  9. Congratulations!!! I can't imagine doing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! When my family started doing them, I couldn't imagine myself doing one. Guess family will do that to you!

      Delete
  10. Starting immediately with the title, this made me laugh sO HARD. (I mean, Quicksilver gifs?? "Is there no end to this accursed forest"?? Bored Sherlock??) And it also reminded me why I DON'T RUN. 4k is boring (and painful!) enough for me xD

    CONGRATULATIONS on running 33 miles! That's an incredible achievement. (Although I am reminded of the Studio C "The Truth About Running" sketch... ;P)
    - Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I made you laugh!!! And that Studio C video is THE BEST. Their running ones are so true... Evangeline is a barefoot runner, so she loved that little head-nod.

      Delete
  11. Like... this is crazy!! How long did it take??? I wouldn't be able to breath for half a mile of running...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only just found this and *wheezing with laughter*
    this is amazing, congrats on the race :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even want to talk about this race, it was so boring...

      I might do the local 30-miler this Fall, since it's not so boring, lol

      Delete