In which I throw myself a birthday party

My birthday is today, and I thought I'd make things a little festive with a few stories, since I love telling funny stories, and it's my birthday (and my blog), and I do what I want.

But my "theme" is beginnings.

As I turn older, I like to sit back and think about what I've learned, what I've done, what I've become, since last year.  Where have I back-stepped?  What have I forgotten, or stopped doing?  What have I started doing?  What have I continued?

Honestly, I feel like this isn't that big of a change from last year.  I'm still working the same job, still writing, still riding, still running.  I may be a little wiser (definitely a little older), a little more experienced.

But I'm still doing a lot of the same things.

Which made me reflect on the beginning, where I started doing these things.
~~*~~
It all began a few years ago, when my Dad's blood pressure started going up.  In order to keep it from going too high, he started running with the local trail group in our area.  After a month or so, he found he enjoyed it (and it really helps his blood pressure).  So he asked my kid brother if he wanted to come along on a run.
*running group starts off down the trail*
Dad:  Okay, keep up as long as you can, alright?  When you get tired, just turn around and start walking back to the car.  I'll catch up on my way back.
Brother:  Okay.  *runs along behind Dad*
*a mile goes by*
Brother:  *continues to run*  *is barely sweating*  *holds casual conversation*
Dad:  *panting and sweating*
*trail starts to go steeply uphill to top of the mountain*
Dad:  *beings to regret bringing his son*
Brother:  *continues to run and chat*
Dad:  *focuses on breathing and running up steep mountain*  *gets lost in thought* *finally looks around*
Brother: *AWOL*
Dad:  Finally, I've dropped him!!  Yes!!  *continues running*
Brother:  *bounds up from the woods somewhere*  Look, I found some mushrooms!!!
~~*~~
And so we all eventually joined in on "this running thing."  (You can view my post about my 33-mile race here.)(If you've already read it, go read it again, because I want you to laugh.)

My brother actually holds the record for a local mountain race.  He wasn't planning to win, but as he later said, he was right behind the fastest runners for a while, felt good, decided to try and pass them, and managed to keep ahead the rest of the way.  (For the record, he even stopped to take pictures and videos along the way...)
Brother:  *runs across the finish line*
Race Director:  *doesn't take much notice*  *assumes my brother is just someone there to hike the trails, not part of the race*
Brother:  *walks over to finishers tent to get some water*
Director:  *notices bib pinned to my brother's shirt*  *quickly turns camera on*  Did you just finish the race??
Brother:  *casually*  Yeah.
Director:  You went to all five peaks??
Brother:  *hands over bib with checkmarks from all five peaks*
Director:  *glances at timer by finish line*  *repeats time*  I don't believe it.
*ten minutes later one of my sisters crosses the finish line as the first female finisher in the race*
~~*~~

We do other things besides run.  Honest.

~~*~~

But I'm supposed to be talking about beginnings.

~~*~~

When you start something, you don't always know where it will take you.

In 2010, when I first starting typing stories on my new laptop, I would have laughed if someone had told me where I would be and what I would be doing May 2018.  I might have laughed, and said, "I'm still not published??" or I might have said, "I'm still writing?"

I simply didn't see myself as a writer.

I never thought I would agonize over plot holes and character arcs.  I never thought I would have stuck to a writing schedule for the past three years.  I never thought I would start a blog.  I never thought about meeting other like-minded people.  I never even thought about looking up how does one actually write and publish a book.

I was just writing because, well, I liked telling stories, and hey, I've got a laptop, so let's type something amazing up!  (And let's be honest, I dreamed I would get instantly published and get money and fame and a movie deal...)

I didn't know where this writing journey would take me.  I thought (and I'm sure my family did, too) that this was just a "phase."  It was something fun and new and exciting, but after a while I would move on to something else.  Because, let's face it, that sort of thing happens to all of us.  We start something with the high goal of mastering it, but after a while, it no longer holds excitement: bobby-ball, cleaning the garage, learning the violin, boomerangs, sketching, you name it.

But other things we start, thinking it might just be a passing thing.  It might last a year or two, at tops.  But years go by, and you have not only persisted, but you've pushed through the hard parts, and now you've mastered something.  And you're proud of it - and rightfully so.

When I first started taking riding lessons, I never thought I would continue to ride until I owned my own horse, and then go on to have three horses, and even train them myself.

When I first started taking banjo lessons, I never thought I would continue to play until I could play other instruments, win competitions, and even write my own songs.

When I first started running, I never thought I would enjoy it, that I would compete in Ride and Ties with my best friend, that I would run a 33 mile race.

When I first started blogging, I never thought I would make new friends and join a community of like-minded people.

Seriously, you guys are awesome!!!  Go and buy yourself some cake, because you deserve it!!  And while you're at it, go and state some things you've mastered - be it completing a draft, or just making your bed every morning.  Go and be proud about your accomplishments!!!!

20 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    Wow, sounds like y'all are fast. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yeah, we can be kinda fast - when we've been running a lot. If we get out of it, we still have to get our speed back up, lol

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday Julian! I really liked this post, but I also had a lot of fun reading about your 33 mile run - thanks for the story to brighten my day! I hope that you have an amazing birthday, and an amazing year being a little bit older. ;)

    ~True // atruewriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JULIAN!!!

    I loved reading about all of your beginnings :). Hope this new beginning brings lots of good stuff your way!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's crazy. You just never know were you'll end up when you start doing something.

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday! I love this post... made me laugh and smile.

    I do like completing/ doing many things. I will admit I don't really make my bed though, because why? Lol... there are so many other productive things to do ;p I like throwing all my blankets to one side ;p

    Beginnings are good, especially when they turn into something that lasts. This is something I've been learning... it's not about it being a first time or a beginning... but that it is still happening. That's what is so special :)

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I love making my bed...it takes just a minute, and boom! I've got one chore done for the day already! Then I come home from work, and step in my room, and see my pretty bedspread, all neat and orderly, and ready for me to relax and write and read!

      (Though I do understand that there are more productive things to do, lol. I just can get OCD about cleanliness sometimes...)

      Delete
  5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND CONGRATS ON ALL THE NEW BEGINS!

    Honestly, your brother sounds super amusing and super annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, my brother...he's one of those people who just excels at anything he does. Like, how???

      Delete
  6. Have a blessed birthday and yes...nothing will be accomplished unless we BEGIN it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beginning is the hard part, but we just have to get through it!

      Delete
  7. Great post and happy belated birthday!!!
    Actually, I really needed to read this today. This mornings workout was extra tough! Our roads have lots of hills and we were trying to run for 45 min. Half way through, I had to slow down. I didn't give up and still got a workout but I was feeling pretty bad about having to slow down. I liked what you said about pushing through the hard parts.
    Wow! 32 miles!! I can't imagine! How long did that take?? And how did you train for something like that?
    I'm training for a triathlon in June so if you have any running tips, I would love to get your advice. It is only almost 6 miles of the running part... this probably seems like a piece of cake for you;D!
    Thank you for telling us to be proud of our accomplishments! I need to acknowledge how far I've come (not just with running but also with my horse and my writing!) All to often I'm so hard on myself.
    Thank you for sharing your beginnings and accomplishments!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So after attempting to give you a quick few tips, I found I couldn't pack it in...so you're getting a blog post next week. XD

      I wanna hear about your horse and your writing!

      Delete
    2. Great! I can't wait to read next weeks post! :D

      I'd love to tell you about my horse journey and how I've become more of a writer. Would you by any chance want to email??

      Have a great day!
      -Brooklyne

      Delete
    3. Sure!! Just drop me a message in the contact me box, and then I can get you my email.

      My own horse journey was tough, so I love hearing about others working through with their own noble (or crazy) beasts!

      Delete
    4. Ok! Sounds good:-).

      Rosie would probably fall more under the crazy beast category!! :D

      Delete
  8. Happy late b-day! I just found your blog through another blogger's and thought I'd check it out.
    I pray you have a wonderful year full of many blessings, my friend. <3

    ReplyDelete