Running 101

I hate running.

There's nothing I loathe more than limping along a steep hill in the middle of summer, sweat pouring down my back, an empty water bottle in my hand (or worse, a leaky water pack hanging limply from my shoulders), with over a mile left to go, and the folks who did even more mileage than I am are whizzing past me, shouting "Good job!" as they leave me in their dust.

There are like, a hundred other things I'd rather be doing, and sitting in a dentist chair is one of them - at least I'm sitting and have air conditioning.

So why do I run?

Because, ultimately, I love running.
**All pictures in this post were taken during my runs over the years**
There's nothing I find more exiting than trotting down a trail, my family and friends in front and behind me, going places I've never been before, standing on top of a mountain peak and surveying the view, and then sprinting that last stretch to the finish line.

Sounds a little more fun, right?
But let's face it.  Running isn't always easy.  So what are my secrets?

Set a Goal

Basically, go and sign up for a race.

Or you can just set a more general goal, like "get up to running five miles" "run 3 miles in 30 minutes" or "run a mile every day."

If you're not trying to reach something, it'll be harder to get out and actually run.

Daventry-style: Sign up for a 30 mile race that's in three weeks, do mimimal training, get sick the week before, and basically wing it.
Hadn't run for a week, half-way through a cold, and I'm still doing a 6 mile mountain race...
Get Motivated

What keeps you moving once you actually are outside running??  Thoughts of your goal?  Aiming to keep running until you pass the mailbox...the driveway....that tree....that road....  Maybe some music?  A friend to cheer you on, or talk to?  Relaxing silence?  Someone ahead to catch up to?  Someone behind pushing you (literally, or just mentally)?  A treat (like a piece of candy) to eat when you're done?

I need music, or I'll get bored and just start walking.  My mother gives herself little goals to reach throughout the run.  My sister runs with friends and listens to them chat.  Everyone is different - find what works for you.

Start Small and Slowly Build

Start with something you're confident you can tackle - walk a mile, jog two, whatever is at your comfort level.  Then start adding distance and/or speed.  Next time, run more and walk less.  Maybe add another half a mile or mile.  Do that for a day or two, then have a recovery run.  Keep going back and forth until you're used to doing whatever distance or speed you want to reach.

Daventry-Style: Or just start doing 5+ mile distances and forget about recovery runs.

Stretches and Warmups

Some people do stretches.  Some people swear by stretching before and/or after a run.  Others don't even bother.  If you are able to run without stretching, great!  But if you find your legs or ankles or shoulders tighten during or after a run, you might want to google some good stretches.  (I normally don't stretch, unless my bad knee has been giving me trouble, and then I'll stretch it out.)
Warmups can consist of just simply walking over to where you plan to start your run, or running a few laps before actually starting your watch.  On my normal, weekly three-mile run, I just walk up the road to where I start, and use that as my warm-up.
On longer runs and before races, I'll do laps.  Sometimes just a little bit of running, other times I'll run for ten minutes and even do a short sprint or two - it all depends how I feel, how cold it is, and the distance of the race.
Personally, these are all up to you: do what works for you.
This was not taken on an early morning run.  I was running after work at the local state park after they had just done a controlled burn.  That is smoke.  And the setting sun.  XD
Speed Will Come

Don't take off at top speed your first time.  Start slow and build up

When I first started running, I would take off at top speed.  A quarter mile later, I'd be winded, walking, and wanting to go back to the car.  Everyone would jog past me, and I'd be #done  So I started slowly jogging, than picked up speed, then finally achieved my goal of the under-thirty-minute 5K.

Never Stop Moving

I have been running for years, have run all sorts of distances, and I still cannot run a 5K (3.1 miles) without stopping to walk at least once (even when running those under 30 minutes).  When I'm out of breath or need to get a drink or snack, I keep walking.  If it's a short run, I only walk for a minute or less.  On longer runs, I'll walk until I feel sufficiently ready to run again.

Walking is okay.  Everyone does it.  Don't feel like you need to run the whole thing.  If you can alternate between running and walking, and do both at a decent pace, you're fine.  Just make sure you don't keep walking, even after you've gotten your drink or rested enough.  Don't walk more than you need to.

Daventry-Style: Speeeeeeedwalk.  To the point where you're walking past people who are running.

Don't Give Up

You'll have bad days.  You'll have bad weeks.  You'll have times where you feel like you're not getting any better.  Just keep pushing through.  You'll want to give up.  You'll want to turn around and walk back to the car.  You'll want to never wear a pair of sneakers again.

But it'll get easier.  Once you push through the hard beginning, you'll start to enjoy it.  And you'll find yourself driving along, wishing you were running.  You'll see a park, and think oh, it would be fun to run there!  You'll be proud of what you've been able to do.
The running, the climbing, the stairs...it was all worth it to see this waterfall.  Right, Sarah??
~~~A FEW TRAIL RUNNING TIPS~~~

Walk up the hills and run the downhills.  My dad has a harder time going up hills, simply because he's not super light and agile.  So he decided he wouldn't even try.  A hill comes along, and he slows downs and simply walks up the hill - he might eat a snack, take a few sips of water.  Then he skyrockets down the hill, passing people who originally passed him while he was walking.

(We used to think this was just because of his weight advantage, but then I found this method works also quite well for me, and I'm barely a hundred pounds....I can fly downhill just as fast as he can.)
Let's face it: there's no way to run up this...
But how do you not fall flat on your face??

This is a fairly easy trail...wide and mostly loose gravel
and dirt.  Great for first-time trail running!
Don't look at your feet.  Look a few steps ahead.  This may sound weird, but I promise you, it works.  If you're watching right where your feet are about to step, you won't notice what's coming up further down the trail.  I like to keep my gaze a little ahead of where my feet are, and then let my brain do the figuring out of where my feet need to go.

I know this sounds crazy.  But I've run down an entire mile and a half of dry creek bed, and never once looked where my feet are.  I look a few steps ahead, and my brain quickly calculates where my feet need to be.

It's kind of like dancing.
Other trails are more tricky...

Know what your body needs to stay hydrated and energized.  I know someone who hates anything but water.  Another runner uses powdered drinks.  Another drinks gaterade.  Aother mountain dew.  My sister likes half-sweet tea.  Water is best, but if you find you just aren't interested in drinking water, find something that gets you drinking.

Also make sure you're eating.  I like to nibble almost throughout the run (cause I like food, okay??) on cliff bars, skittles, energy gummies, you name it.  My sister brings peanut butter crackers, and eats a pack every few miles. 
Your body needs to drink and eat, so find something you like!!

If you can't run, do what you can.  Just stay active!  I try to run to the mailbox every day at work.  It's just a short sprint - two blocks - but it's something.  If I haven't been running in the evenings, I at least have that little sprint.

If the weather is nasty, do some jumping jacks, pushups, or even lift some weights.  Get a gym membership and try that treadmill thing.
But don't just sit around and do nothing.  If you want to get active, and be good at it, you need to stay active.
Trail challenge: can you cross the creek without getting your shoes soaking wet?

So, anyone thinking of taking up running now?  If you are considering buying a pair of sneakers...I'm so, so sorry....

15 comments:

  1. My dad has recently been into running, and my mom started a running club for the homeschool kids. At our first meeting, I ran 1/4 of a mile and walked 3 3/4 miles :P....

    ~Ceci
    alooongtimeagoinagalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me when I first started! So don't worry, just keep running!

      Delete
  2. I need to get into running this summer...I am so pathetically out of shape :( :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, girl, same...I haven't run in a while, as I've been so busy.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for these tips!
    They were definitely helpful. Loved the pictures! That waterfall is so pretty! I like hiking but have never really ran in the woods.
    This year I have done three 5ks and my best time was 28 min..! . So I have two questions for you: how do you not get side stitch? And what kind of energy gummies do you use?
    Thanks for posting this!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally like trail running more than road running. :)

      As to side stiches, I find I get those most when I've been running really fast, or for a long time. If it's a minor stitch, I like to slow down a tad and keep going, making sure I'm breathing well; if it's a more painful one, I'll slow to a walk, breathe a bit, maybe take a drink and stretch (while walking). Just keep going through it, if you can, and it should eventually go away. (I honestly don't know what causes them...so I just slow down, and stretch and breathe and drink until it goes away!)

      Personally, I like the energy jelly beans. XD I can get them at any local running store, but here's the website, so you know what I'm talking about: https://www.sportbeans.com/
      But really, try and sample a bunch of gummies, if you can. Pick ones you like!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I will definitely look up those gummies!
      -Brooklyne

      Delete
  4. Nice post! I've been trying to convince myself that I should start running or at least doing something exercise-wise (something besides karate or carrying large stacks of books), but haven't been able to get myself out of the house to run around the block a few times. Or over to the track that's literally a three minute walk from my front door. But maybe I'll start soon - this post is motivating me to do something, and you make running seem like a lot more fun than it is when you're sweating gallons and can barely breath. ;) Do you usually run on paved routes or through these "dirt and forest trails," or a mixture of both?

    ~True // atruewriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I run both, though I prefer trails. On the normal Tuesday/Thursday three mile runs, I usually do roads...it goes through some neighborhoods, around the running track and the park, and then back. For longer runs, I prefer trails, simply because it's more interesting. :)

      I would definitely recommend running, though! It's great for writing...I like thinking about the plot, or characters, or how to get a scene done, all while running!

      Start small, and don't give up!

      Delete
  5. I hate running for all the reasons you mentioned. My legs say they could last forever, but my lungs and stomach say "never do this again!"

    But I have been trying to run a little. Sprinting works best for me.

    Also, I really like this post. You make running look like a fun challenge I want to conquer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes!! Running can be so PAINFUL and AWFUL but I usually feel amazing the day after a run...

      I used to love sprinting and HATED the whole "slow jog for a few miles" that everyone else was doing. But I can't sprint for more than a few minutes...so I started slowing my pace down, and then rewarding myself with a sprint to the finish!

      Delete
  6. Side stitches are my enemy too when it comes to running....

    Awesome post, Julian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I still don't know why I get side stitches...they just show up, I push through them, and they eventually go away...

      Delete
  7. I love running but I think I may have asthma, which hinders running a bit.
    Beautiful photos! We go to our state park nearby and hike and exercise - it's beautiful there too, and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, hiking is wonderful!!!! You get to stop and really see how beautiful the trails are, and it's just lots of fun!

      Me while hiking: *wishes I was running*
      Me while running: *wishes I was hiking*

      Delete