How I Write (a miniseries)

So in the "How I..." series, today we have the process in which I write my stories.  It wasn't always this way, but I've tried lots of things and have sort of found out what works for me and what doesn't.

Like outlines.  *shudders*


The Idea

My writing happens the typical way - I simply get an idea.

But I don't start writing it immediately.  I'm usually elbow-deep in another WIP, anyway, so I stick that idea in my notes.  These are linked to my phone and email, so no matter where I am, I have access to them.


And one of two things happen:

I forget about it.  All excitement I had for it vanished and I'm left with just a threadbare idea that won't take me anywhere.  So I toss it and continue on my merry way.

I remember it.  I can't stop thinking about it.  A character pops up, and I add him/her to the idea.  A plot begins to form.  A world is created.

The Preparation

Full of anticipation, I prepare for the story.  I gather lists of my main characters, and write a page or two in their POVs to discover how they view their world.  I make a Pinterest board.


And when I feel ready, I write a synopsis.  This contains everything I know about the book - how it begins, where it's supposed to go, and anything I know about the ending.  These range from three short paragraphs to pages, depending on what I've gathered so far.

Making a Mess

Then things get messy and painful.  I open up a blank document and wing it.  I start with the beginning and just type and type until I find I've reached the end.  It usually takes me a month and a half to get an entire book finished.  But in the end, I've got a story.  It might be all over the place, but it's all there.  Thankfully, my synopsis guides me a good part of the way.

Break Time

Once I've finished, I push the story aside and try to catch up on things I've neglected while drafting.  I clean my room, organize the backups on my flash drive, get some extra sleep...and try my hardest not to think about the book I just wrote.  Usually this is only a week or two, depending on life.
The All-Important Read-Through

This is where I regret half the things I typed, and fangirl over the rest.  I usually have scenes and characters that I just love love love...and then the ones that need to be taken out.

I start my read-through by copying my draft, scene by scene, into Scrivener (when I draft, I don't even bother with chapters).  I can type up my notes and ideas into the epic little sidebar the word processor comes with.  I summarize the scene, what happens in it, what use it brings to the story, and what changes need to be made.

After moving it over and making notes for each scene, I add another folder in Scrivener and make notes of things that also need to be changed (side plots, character arcs, and things like that).


First Edit
I make said corrections I've already noted.  This can be as simple as catching a few typos, to completely removing or adding scenes.  Sometimes this goes along well, other times, not so well.



Alpha Read
After making any corrections I've seen beforehand, I send the draft off to Sarah, my trusted Alpha reader.  Then I send Evan a copy before I receive death threats.  They both will catch any plot or character holes.
Second Edit
I fix anything they pointed out, maybe things I noticed on my own while I waited for their feedback.
The Order of the Pen
After that, I send the story out to the other folks in my writing group.  They will edit and make notes as they can (for they're quite busy and they are so awesome to take the time and edit for me).
Go Crazy
Once I've sent it out so many times and fixed all the errors...publishing looms on the horizon at last...  It would be my dream to be traditionally published, but I think it would be fun to self publish as well.  I guess whatever form publishing takes, I'm game.
So, what do y'all think?  Is your process similar?  Different?  Any editing laughs you want to share?


11 comments:

  1. THIS POST, THOUGH. I definitely feel you on the “forgetting ideas" piece. If I scroll through some of my "genius ideas" I usually end up thinking, "What the heck was I thinking?????”

    Great post! I’m still figuring out my process, honestly. I THINK I know what works for me . . . but I have absolutely no idea if it’s actually good or not. (NaNo will solve that pretty quick.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of my ideas are, may I say, genius. Then there are other ones where I'm just like "What kind of caffeine was I on when I wrote this idea???"

      THATS RIGHT NANO IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER

      I literally have no idea what I'm writing for NaNo. This feels weird.

      Delete
  2. Great post!!! Can you tell me a little more abt Scrivener? How does it work? I think you have a awesome method here! I'm still trying to figure out mine... also, do you fell like having more than one WIP started is ok to have? A totally random story idea just literally wrote itself late at night, and I'm wondering if I should just "save" it for later and just keep working on my fist story. Thoughts?? :D
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...the easiest way to describe Scrivener is a place to store EVERYTHING about your novel. You can keep pictures, internet links, character journals, research, any plotting you do (plot structures, character sheets, etc.), the actual draft, any other drafts....it can do just a little bit, or it can do a LOT. Just depends on how you use it.

      If you complete a NaNo event, you get a code to get, I believe, 50% off of your purchase. That's what I did, and I've really enjoyed it. I'm only using about half the features now, because I was so overwhelmed when I started.

      Here's a quick video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbKOAVKe50c

      About multiple WIPs....

      My suggestion would be to save that idea and keep working on building the idea while writing your current WIP. So basically keep stirring that idea in your mind - maybe add another character, or a scene idea - but don't start writing thee story yet. This way if the idea doesn't sound so exciting in a few weeks, you haven't just spent a bunch of time on a dead idea; or, if you find that it keeps getting more and more exciting, you might have added more to it and now you have even more to go off of when you start drafting.

      So that's what I first do with an idea - I let it sit. But when I start writing, sometime I am working on multiple WIPs. What I usually do then is alternate every MONTH. I give myself a goal to reach by the end of the month and work on one story. Than I switch to the next story the next month.

      When I first started writing, I wrote whatever I felt like. I was starting (and never finishing) new stories left and right. I would write one story for a week, and then write a few paragraphs on a bunch of stories the week after. Than I would play computer games because I didn't want to write at all.

      It may not work for you, but I would at least advise to make yourself either a schedule, or some other form of discipline. Don't just "write whichever one you feel like" or eventually you won't want to write at all.

      But hey, getting new ideas is AWESOME!!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! That's a good idea to switch WIPs every month! So do you have to pay for Scrivener monthly, or is it a one time thing? Also, does it have to have internet?

      Great tips! Thanks so much, I need all the help I can get... :D

      Delete
    3. You only have to pay for the one time purchase. If you use your NaNo code you should get it half off or something. You don’t /have/ to have internet (except to initially download), thankfully, since I don’t have internet on my laptop normally. Unless you want to sync with your phone app or another computer, of course.

      Delete
    4. Cool! I might try it out! Sounds like it's helpful! :)

      Delete
  3. I love that make a mess and go crazy are part of your process. That's the only way I write.
    XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to wing drafts, but I need some kind of plan to keep me on track!

      Delete
  4. You're so organized! I aspire to be at your level one day, right now is just me throwing up words onto my computer screen every night and then reading them in the morning and thinking "wait, what? How late did I write this??"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven’t seen my horrible first drafts...they’re ALL OVER THE PLACE. I do like a small amount of organization though.

      Delete