August Wrap-Up

So I started out my August with an incredibly insane book goal.  16 books, to be exact.  I stacked them all out, snapped a picture, and said, "I will read all of these this month."

To be fair, I thought I would have adequate time.  The first full week of August I had a Church Conference to go to with my family.  I would get 7 hours on Monday to read, plus another 7 on the way back.  We've gone a number of years in a row, and this is always a great time to catch up on reading.

Ha, wrong.  This year, I didn't get to sit in the van with the girls, listen to music, and read.  This year, I drove in the truck with my dad and took turns driving the truck and the camper.

I don't know about you, but it's really hard to read while driving.

I won't complain, as I got to spend some fun time with my dad, talking theology and singing along to John Denver.  But I didn't reach my goal of reading 16 books.

Books Read: 8

Destroy
The Hundred Dresses
The Fellowship of the Ring
Deliver
The Book of Lost Tales, Part One
The Two Towers
The Pearl of Christian Comfort
The Return of the King

All in all, not that bad.

Lesson Learned:  Think logically before setting goals. 

Writing-Wise

I didn't do much writing this month (part of why I planned to spend extra time reading).  I finished the draft of Words of Gold and sent it to my Alpha.  And now I'm just waiting to hear back from her.

Lesson Learned:  A break can sometimes be really, really nice.

Life

I went to the above-mentioned Church Conference.  It was great to see some old friends again and make new ones, but especially memorable are the lectures - edifying and challenging.  And, as always, my family attacked the book tables.


It's nice being in a family of book-lovers!

Also brought my office kitty home with me, and he has adapted to life as a farm cat.

Ragnar is happy to be outside.

Than at the end of the month, I got my wisdom teeth out.  The initial procedure was completely painless.  But the next day my cheek swelled like a balloon.  A few days later, my jaw started getting really stiff and painful.  I'm still recovering.

Lots of smoothies!
Spent a few days relaxing outside and reading.
Spice and Ragnar kept me company.
In September, I hope to start my edits on Words of Song, and start prepping my NaNo novel (as of yet, I have no idea what I'm going to write come November...).
How was your month?  Have you ever gone on a shopping spree with your entire family?  Like my kitties?

9 comments:

  1. 8 books is still a lot! Good job! Sounds like your August was pretty good! And your kitties are adorable!!! :)
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased with what I got done. All things considered, it was good. :) And yeah, I like ma kitty-cats!

      Delete
  2. Great wrap-up! And awww, your kitties are SO CUTE. <3 Have a great September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And both strays, the lot of them. One from a shelter (Spice), and I found Ragnar behind the shop, filthy and skinny and missing hair. He's plumped up quite a bit since then!

      Delete
  3. Your cats are so cute!!!! :D

    It's crazy how fast this month few by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If someone could invent a way to read while driving, I think that many bookworms would be happy campers, LOL. Audiobooks tend to be a good solution though...LOL.

    Agh - I know that pain of oral surgery too well. The swelling was the worst - did you get the "chipmunk cheeks" jabs?

    And yes, your kitties are adorable :)

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audiobooks would be nice, except the truck is so loud you can't hear anything unless the volume is turned waaaaay up. Which is good and bad...

      No one really commented on my chipmunk...perhaps because I only swelled on my right side? (I didn't have my bottom left wisdom tooth...it's nonexistent, so I guess that side didn't get as much trauma.)

      Delete