Character Sheets - Before or After?

Guess what I've been doing lately?  (as of March, when I wrote this post)

Filling out character sheets.  Scouring the internet for reference pictures.  Writing out backstory.  Am I writing a new book?  Planning out a new series?  No.


Perhaps I should explain.

I'm still editing my Betrayal and Bravery trilogy.  Character sheets is just a part of this process.  And before you ask, no, I didn't do this before I started drafting.  (All my plotter friends just froze in horror.)

I just finished six drafts of book one, two drafts of book two, and one fat 114K beast of a draft for book three.  That right there is living proof that you don't need to fill out character sheets and stuff before you write.

But you do need them.  I need character sheets.  Even after all that drafting and editing, after spending years in the storyworld, I still need something I can go to and make sure I wrote down someone's eye color correctly.

When I first started writing this trilogy, back in 2015, I literally went with the following:

A three paragraph synopsis.
6 pages of character journaling (a page per character)
A hazy idea of what each character looked like

And then I dove in.  And finished the draft with minimal fuss.

But now I'm finally going back and nailing down exactly what each character looks like.

Pros to Making Character Sheets After Drafting

I haven't wasted time doing all this prep work only to find I didn't like the story.  I used to spend lots of time crafting the characters - getting their generic appearances, personalities, and so on.  And then I would start creating the plot and find I wasn't real excited about actually writing the story.  Or I would begin drafting...only to loose interest after three chapters.

I haven't wasted time on characters that didn't make the cut.  Now that all 3 books are finished, I know who is needed, what their personality is, what kind of arc they have (or need to have), and usually a general idea about their appearance.  I don't even need to brainstorm much to fill out the character sheet!

I used that eager-to-start rush on actually writing.  Not filling out questions and answers.  By the time I finish filling out all those charts, I'm ready to move onto something else.  But now I can pour that energy into drafting.

We all know that during drafting, things often change.  Characters decide they want to act different than at first, maybe we realize they look different, maybe their arc changes.  And this is all fine, since nothing is set in stone with that pre-written character chart that's been filled out.

Cons to Making Character Sheets After Drafting

Drafts are more likely to be all over the place and need serious editing because these things haven't been settled.  Like, honestly, I have no idea what color Martin's eyes are or how old he is.  I think he's around 30...  It's not important for the plot so moving on.

Some people find appearances important.  They need to know what their characters look like, how they view the world, what their backstory is.  And I respect that.  I usually know at least the hair color and general age and height (not pinpoint exact) for my MCs - though those are suspect to change if the plot requires it.

You're likely to forget things.  What are their parents names?  Where were they born?  What are their fave foods?  I'M NOT WRITING THIS DOWN OKAY??

(Okay, so sometimes I do.  I have a document I keep during drafts to quick add those things in so I don't forget them.  Then I forget to look at the document.)

What if You're a Beginning Writer? What Should You Do?

Personally, I think beginner writers should start with character charts.  They are really helpful, at least at the beginning stages of writing.  Every writer at least needs to know a little about their characters - what they want, and what their arc will/should be.

I guess because I've been writing so long, I can get all that info I need out of a page's worth of character journaling, or else keep it in the back of my mind while I draft.  But when you're first starting to write, definitely look up and use character charts or sheets (or whatever you'd like to call them).

But if you're having problems writing, if the sheets are boring you, why not throw them over your shoulder and try winging it a little bit?  You don't have to go in completely blind.  As stated above, I usually just do a little bit of character journaling.  Get a reference picture, write a page of two in each character's POV, and then jump in.  You might just enjoy some discovery writing.

18 comments:

  1. I have started doing basic character sheets, usually as I'm writing, or such. I once did the a paragraph of description for each character before hand - but then when I actually wrote the character I decided they looked different ;p when I wrote the second drafts of my six novella dystopian series I first sat down and read through all the books and then wrote descriptions of them/ their basic timeline as it was over the six books. That was helpful because I found a few inconsistencies book to book and was able to smooth those out in the second drafts.


    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to spend way too much time doing character sheets, only to have things change. :) I can imagine getting some inconsistencies after doing 6 books with little prep!

      Delete
  2. I’ve never character journaled before, but it sounds very interesting! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love character journaling! Maybe I should do a post about it?

      Delete
  3. Being a pantser I'm not a big fan of planning too much. I usually get to know my characters as I write the draft. They tell me about themselves through their actions and dialogue and thoughts. However, over the past few months I've been trying to get better at planning a little bit before I jump into a draft, which means I start by writing a synopsis as vague or as detailed as I want and then nail down what my character's want and why. What they fear and what they desire the most. I veer off course from my synopsis and my characters sometimes surprise me with wanting something totally different but for the most part the exercise has been super helpful! :)

    www.melodypersonetteauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to prep with just a synopsis, too! It really works well - sometimes it's really long and detailed, and sometimes it just states the main points of the main plot. I'm usually able to stick to them, though!

      Delete
  4. I'm so with you on this! It's good to have the basic concept of the character before starting the first draft, but having too much detail before you get to know the character can be overwhelming. But once that draft is done and you're ready to start going through and making sure everything is golden, it's important to know those little details so you can get them right.

    P.S. This planner didn't freeze in horror. I wait a little while before I start really filling out the details of the character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have memories of your hand-written Edifuni Team character sheets. "Smooth with the ladies." LOL!

      Delete
  5. Wow, I never thought of it like this before. I'm a heaver plotter - I plot out the wazoo...but not my characters. I don't make a character sheet until the first draft is done, usually. I know the rudiments of their personas, appearance etc, but that's about it. xD Probably why my characters are all so flat.

    ~ Lily Cat (Boots) | lilycatscountrygirlconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, try doing a sheet beforehand and seeing if that helps any!

      Delete
  6. Very interesting. I think I will try using character sheets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be very helpful, especially when you've got a useless memory like mine. :)

      Delete
  7. I....am a terrible plotter, outliner, and anything that has to do with figuring things out XD
    So I definitely agree that you don't have to write out everything upon everything BEFORE writing your first draft.

    ...With that being said, due to my tendency to recklessly jump from idea to idea, I have started forcing myself to plan everything first, because I find it much easier to get the words down after I have already planned everything and have discovered more about the characters themselves. Writing your draft without figuring out your character will most likely, definitely result in some serious editing - because, at least for me, as I discover more about who my characters are the overall plot and storyline changes accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I do is keep a note open while drafting so I can jot down (er, type down) any little points that show up that I'll probably need to know later. That is really helpful.

      For me, though, the important thing is just to get the draft down. It may be different than the original plan, but now I know what needs to be done, what should be tweaked, etc.

      Delete
  8. Ah, yes, good idea! I do have some character stuff written down.I should work on them some more. :)

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay I feel this post on a personal level because just the other day I was trying to remember what my MCs hair colour is. Whoops. I might try this strategy to make sure I don't forget anything. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh! Oh no! I don't think I've ever forgotten a main character's hair color, but I do it all the time for those side characters...

      Delete