Shared WIP Tag - Introduction

Wow. November again. Which means that it's time for another round of the Shared WIP Tag!!!





If you have a book cover, torture your readers by making them scroll forever to see it. If you do not have a book cover, describe your dream cover.



Okay guys. Here goes.



So it would probably be a simple cover, maybe with a red background and the shapes of a ship and maybe the moon or some secret agent-y type shadows. Kind of see what I mean?


Provide a blurb



The Scaera Dumeda. A death wish. A chance for greatness. Those deemed the smartest and most cunning will be called to take part in a series of challenges. The winners will get to join the Shadow Squad and hold title as Guardians of Antovan.

Adima wants nothing more then to hear her name called and get the chance to prove herself to be more than a dull, boring Princess. When her name is announced on Selection Day, she throws away her title, despite her family's threats of disownment and the uncertain future ahead.

After all, nothing ever goes wrong in the Scaera Dumeda. It's a test, not a gladiator arena. Even the losers are still rewarded greatly. And Adi doesn't plan on loosing.

On the first day, Adi meets Ravin. Ravin is a sailor on the Red Wind (a ship known only in bedtime stories) and doesn't know why he was selected. Ever since a nearly fatal duel, he has been marked dead in the records. He never even took the entry test.

Treachery is afoot, and when other selectees are found dead during the first challenge, Adi and Ravin must discover the secrets of the Scaera Dumeda and put an end to it before anyone else is killed.



Share some aesthetics


Oy. Um...


How long did it take you to flesh out the story enough to feel prepared to use it for NaNo?



Well, Sarah and I have already written 30K or so of the beginning, so I feel like I have a good grip as to what needs to come next.

But I also love winging it, lol


Is it a standalone or part of a series?



A standalone. The way I've been figuring the ending, I suppose there might be a chance for future books. At the moment, we don't any others planed.



How did you get the idea for this story?



A couple years ago I watched the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie and loved the whole pirates and ships and high adventures (okay, I also adore the soundtrack). But of course pirates are bad, right? So what about someone who hunts pirates? 



Thus, Captain Jay Hill and his crew of the Red Wind were born.



Sarah and I eventually got around to writing a story together. Sarah loves the whole "fighting as a team" aspect, and I brought in my pirate hunters. Fun mix, yah?



What song or selection of lyrics best describes the general aesthetic of your story?


Erm, how about this one? 



What made you decide to write this book for NaNo?



I had nothing else, honestly. I mean, I did have two ideas that I could have fleshed out, but Sarah said I could go ahead and just finish this one off, which was super kind.


What are your publishing plans for this book?


We are still discussing this, honestly. At the moment, we are considering self-publishing and working with Evan to get illustrations for it.


Well, there you have it! The beginning of the Shared WIP Tag and some info about Ships, Secrets, and Survivors!

And don't forget to check out the other participants: Ceci, Sarah, Lila, Snaps, Lily Cat, and Nicki.

9 comments:

  1. Ooooh what a fantastic blurb! I'm so intrigued by the pirate hunters, and the mystery. I love a good standlone! Best wishes to both of you as you write. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Writing pirate hunters certainly has been fun!

      Delete
  2. This sounds amazing! Plus pirates you can't go wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That blurb is so goood!! I'm really intrigued xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see how this story turns out!! I think it's going to be epic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, this sounds good! And I love Scarborough Fair so much!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need more pirate stories in my life and this sounds PERFECT!!! I needs it. O_O

    ReplyDelete