Gifts



Something I've been thinking about lately...

I play a number of instruments, and most of them are completely by ear (I can't read music that well, and couldn't read it at all until until recently). Since I don't compete anymore or play in an orchestra or whatever, I don't mind. I make music purely for my own enjoyment and stress-relief.

A few months ago I was at a friend's house, playing on her piano. Now my friend is an amazingly gifted piano player. Like, her playing is just beautiful to listen to. She plays lots of gospel songs and hymns, and has stacks and stacks of sheet music. To play a song, she just picks one, flips a book open to that page...and just...just plays. It's beautiful.

So there I am, a little self-conscious, playing one of my songs, on her piano - while she's watching. (I believe it was the cover of "Song of Durin" by Clamavi de Profundis.)

Anyways, my friend is impressed, and says something like, "That's so cool that you can memorize that and don't need your music! I have to play with the sheets in front of me."

So there I was, envying how you can drop a new piece of music in front of her, and she just starts playing...while she was envying how I didn't need to look at music to play something.

Which set me to thinking...we all have our own gifts, and we are all different and it's absolutely amazing and beautiful.

I have a friend who plays the guitar by ear. He'd never played a banjo before, but after a minute or two, was able to play mine and join in a jam session.

Another friend plays only one instrument, but man does she play it well.

Another friend plays only by ear, and can improvise so well that you'd never know she was playing a new (to her) song. 

Another friend plays with sheet music, and can play something new all the way through just by reading the dots and lines and stuff.

Another friend was not naturally gifted, but through perseverance and hard work now plays her instrument splendidly.

Another friend just sings (but has an amazing voice).

Another doesn't play at all but loves listening.

One friend can tune an instrument by ear.

Another can tell when something is out of tune, but needs a tuner to help fix things.

We are all different. And we're all growing and learning. We can't compare ourselves to someone else. Some of us (or maybe our parents) paid for lessons. Others learned on our own. Some of us were born with some natural talent, others were born with determination.

I know we all say "stop comparing yourselves to others" and there are lots of motivational posts out there.

Today, I want to ask you: what little talent do you have? What can you do that you are you proud of? Comment below!

11 comments:

  1. "Some of us were born with some natural talent, others were born with determination." <-- This. This right here. Boom.

    That's all, folks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can play off of sheet music but not particularly well. I've fallen out of practice. I always wanted to be able to play by ear. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any playing by sheet music, however out of practice, is awesome in my book!

      Delete
  3. I play by ear though it can take me a while to get good at a song.
    Great post!

    astordetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool!! Yeah, like, when playing by ear you not only have to figure out what notes to play but also memorize them at the same time, lol

      Delete
  4. I love this soooo much. It's easy to play the comparison game, but if our talents echoed everybody else's, people and relationships wouldn't be half as fascinating. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clamavi de Profundis is EPIC and Song of Durin is one of my favourites.

    I can pick out a piano tune from sheet music, and play a song if I practise, but I find singing harmonies is what comes most easily to me!

    While I really admire anyone who can play an instrument (or several) to performance levels, I do think that playing for enjoyment is often overlooked or downplayed, and it shouldn't be. And being able to play multiple instruments, even casually, or to sing and play at the same time, those are also things I admire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #jealous here...I can sing alto, but if someone beside me is singing the soprano, I end up just singing that with them, lol.

      But seriously, playing for enjoyment should be encouraged more. Not everyone has to play for performance or competitions.

      Delete