When You Stare at the Screen...

Let's be honest - even though we all love writing, sometimes we sit down and just...don't feel like writing.  We stare at the screen, at the last line we wrote, and have absolutely zero motivation.  Or sometimes we want to write, we've got motivation, but we just have absolutely no idea how to even pick up where we left off from last time.



I rarely get faced with not wanting to write, but I often find myself unsure where to start when I begin my writing time.  Or sometimes I don't want to focus on what I should be doing and would rather write something else.

Here are a couple tips from my own experience.  Hopefully they're helpful!

If You Don't Know Where to Start

Sometimes I just pick up and start typing anyway.  It may be rough.  It may sound weird.  The character may say something they wouldn't really say.  I might not be focusing.  But there's that saying...You can edit a bad page, but you can't edit a blank page.  And usually, a few minutes tick by and something clicks, and I'm back in the story, spilling words into the document, loving every minute of being a writer.  Sometimes you just have to get going and push through those nasty first few minutes.

If jumping in doesn't get me anywhere, and I can't seem to get in the right mode to brainstorm, I'll jump ahead and pick up where I know the story will be.  I can always add in the connecting scene later (or maybe there really isn't a need for one, and that was the problem).  Who knows, maybe once you finish that section, you'll have a better idea on how to get there in the first place?

If You Can't Focus

Sometimes I'm full of motivation and energy and oh yeah I love writing this story but I start to write and my brain can't focus on what I'm doing.  Usually I'm motivated about a certain character or a certain scene that just won't leave me alone.  It also happens a lot when I need to edit but I apparently don't feel like reading/thinking and would rather just write something.  Occasionally this also happens when I've had extra sugar or something, but we won't talk about that.

Well, again, I first try to just get myself into it.  I'll play some instrumental music.  I'll turn the music off.  I'll try to focus on the task at hand.  But sometimes I just can't do it.  So I stop and let myself write out that scene that's been nagging me.  I'll write some fanfic of that character that I've been figuring out.  I'll do something that at least moves the story along, or helps me figure out a character arc or side plot.

If You Feel Burnt Out

Once in a while I just feel Tired and simply do not want to write.  This sometimes happens after a NaNo event where I've been pushing myself.  Or maybe it's been a busy week on the farm or at work.

This is okay.  Sometimes we need a break.  Sometimes a day off can really help us push forward.  So take that day off.  But take warning: don't get into the habit of taking breaks, or next thing you know, you're not getting any writing done at all!

So go ahead and take the day off.  Read a book.  Wash the dishes.  Binge some Studio C.  Go to bed early.  Don't stress.

But get back to work the next day. And don't give up.

Well, that was short.  Still catching up on work and farm and writing.  I'll be back tomorrow with a monthly wrap-up and you'll get a few glimpses into what exciting things have happened (outside of Realm Makers, that is).

6 comments:

  1. Oh, man, I needed this post today, Julian! <33 (time to win Camp NaNo!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all great tips! I also move between pushing through, or just giving myself a break. I think it's important to learn when to do each one. Sometimes we need to motivate ourselves, other times a rest. Great post! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Sometimes we need to push ourselves, and sometimes we really need to back up and take a break. And it's hard to know which one you need to do...

      Delete
  3. I needed these tips! I've been struggling. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, these were all so good!!! Thank you muchly, Julian!! ^^

    ~ Lily Cat (Boots) | lilycatscountrygirlconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete